Help! Our couch broke :(

Hi y’all, I’m not sure if this is the correct community to ask, but our couch broke yesterday. One of the support beams completely snapped apart which pulled apart some of the other connections. I have attached photos. Is this something that my partner and I could repair at home? His dad suggested holding the main support beam together with another piece of wood on the front and one on the back. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

That’s the right idea. Easy enough to glue a splint on. Looks to be about the width of a 2x4. Just cut to length, use wood glue on both the original pieces and the 2x4. Clamp together for ~4+ hours. In 24 hours, better than new.

Home depot and Lowe’s both should* have miter boxes and hand saws to cut the 2x4 to the length you need. You should use that 2x4 to reinforce the other sections on the back.

Is the fabric attached on the back of the broken piece? If not, run the 2x4 across the entire back board. Use a lot of clamps or screws to hold in place as glue dries.
If fabric is attached to the back, attach the splint from the inside.

Message me if you need a better explanation
:v:

7 Likes

Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate. I’ll message you if we get stuck. Thanks again!

1 Like

Other question, how old was the couch , was it bought new? Warranty? If it was bought with a credit card, does the card offer extended warranty.? My CC has extended warranty offered. Got a playstation replaced and the glasses I ran over replaced by them. It’s worth checking.

1 Like

There’s this stuff you can buy that’s like a roll of black tape, and you just submerge it in water wrap it around whatever it is you want and it hardens stranger than steel, they sell it at Home Depot, a buddy of mine used a couple roles as a emergency fix when one of the ramps used to load his car on the trainer broke, and he didn’t have a way to get a new one so it’ll hold a car for a couple secs I’m pretty sure it’ll be good on the couch

1 Like