Help on kiln coil options

Howdy y’all the blacksmith room has a kiln that needs two coils. The issue is the coils from the manufacture are on back order an have been for many weeks now. I’d like to know if we can find replacement coils and if the are up to par with the ones made originally for this kiln. If you are able to able to help I’d appreciate that.
IMG_9399

Just make them. They are coiled kanthol wire. Figure out the gauge, diameter of the coil, and length, and coil them yourself using a lathe with a mandrel

3 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kanthal+wire+16+gauge&crid=3L1WC2LLQDLA6&sprefix=kanthal+wire%2Caps%2C390&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_5_12

If you make them the blacksmith shop with pay you lol. Sounds like a decent idea that we have considered.

Max, you never cease to amaze me with the things you know!

1 Like

@raceman1590 Do you have a part number for the kiln? the coil? wattage? voltage? need more info to find one. the more details are better. My googlefu is strong, more info helps :slight_smile:

Max is ordering the wire today.

2 Likes

so awesome. can we have a class on making the coil when the coil is made? :slight_smile:

Yeah. My plan was to do a class on how kilns work. I build one a while back for heat treatment of steel. They aren’t very complicated electronically. It’s basic circuits. It’s a good beginner electronics class with a very practical application.

2 Likes

For anyone interested in kiln making or how kilns work. I intend on putting a short class up for this Thursday. I am going to coil the blacksmithing elements tonight if anyone is interested join me in the machine shop around 6pm. I will also put something up for next Thursday. Probably a class that teaches using Solidworks to create a sheet metal flat pattern. Kiln design…ect

1 Like

Unfortunately, Max I’ll be in my blacksmithing class at Brookhaven tonight and every Thursday night. Thanks for doing this for blacksmithing and for teaching the class.

I might be able to come by today max! Thanks for the help💯

All done.

It’s in the kiln that’s on the table in the blacksmithing room

3 Likes