Help needed with sandblasting and powdercoating

Hi
I have a small project that involves sandblasting and powdercoating a couple of home air conditioning “registers” (I guess they are called that) … I have heard that the resources exist at DMS to do this, but I need instruction and someone to shepherd me through the process of doing this … who can I talk to / who is willing to mentor …

thanks
Dave

We have a media blaster instead of a sandblaster. It uses water and fine glass beads. Patience is the key.

Powder coating is incredibly easy and pretty fast. We have a HUGE powder coat oven.

You would need to be a member.

There is a small cost to pay for the powder coat. Like $1.25 per ounce of powder coat. For 2 grates it might be 2 ounces.

Media blaster is free to use.

You do need training. The training is pretty easy and fast.

Thanks for the info … I am indeed a member :slight_smile: . who do I need to see about training

You need to talk to Jim @hon1nbo. He is the Metal workshop chairperson.

1 Like

The oven training is straight forward. Soon enough it will be an electronic Moodle when I can finish the info for it. The spray booth is easy but a little complex the first time u til someone shows you how it goes together. I’m considering making an instructional video for it showing the process. We technically can’t spray inside due to paint booth requirements under the NFPA.

The Vapor Hone media blaster has instructions written on it and requires no training. Just make sure you clean the parts first in the parts washer.

We have a decent selection of powder media from Summit and a little leftover Harbour Freight. If you bring your own that’s fine too as long as the coating gun is cleaned afterward (we have a great little Eastwood, super easy to clean). Summit is local and online for a good selection of the basics, but if you want the massive colour selection I order from Prismatic Powders.
If you use our powder it’s a small cost (IIRC we determined $1.25/oz paid after the fact on the kiosk). If the scale still hasn’t arrived approx 1oz per register if it’s a standard size.

I’d be happy to walk you through the process if you catch me there. I’m currently out of town but returning tonight and I drop by the space pretty often.

Cheers,
-Jim

2 Likes

Hey Jim when might you be at DMS

I would be interested also in the powdercoating instruction

I’m around a lot of evenings, and for sure will be there this coming Saturday afternoon since we have our metal shop meeting from 12-5pm.

PM me and we can setup a time if needed, or otherwise just catch me whilst I’m there.

1 Like