Help in Getting Plywood to DMS

I’m going to be building a couple of wooden display pedestals, and I need to get two 5’ x 5’ x 1/2" baltic birch plywood sheets to DMS. Unfortunately, neither Lisa nor I have a car we can fit this in. Is there someone in the market for buying baltic birch sheets? I can certainly help with the labor and gas in exchange for piggybacking on your purchase. I’ve also seen that Dakota Hardwoods in Dallas offers free delivery for orders of $300 or more. Anyone interested in putting together a group order for that much? Assuming it’s around $50 per 5’ x 5’ sheet, that’s six sheets. I could certainly use three of them.

Patrick

Dakota Hardwoods doesn’t seem to carry any 5’ x 5’ Baltic Birch, at least it isn’t on their web site.

Plywood Company of Fort Worth has 12mm (~1/2") for $24/sheet. I’ve been needing to get some 3mm Baltic Birch, myself. I’ve sent them a question about what it would cost to deliver to DMS. I should have an answer within 48 hours. If delivery is too expensive, I can take some time off of work to go pick it up next week.

Cary

2 Likes

You might also check Wood World in north Dallas/Richardson. I’m not sure if they have 1/2", but I recently bought a 5x5 sheet of 1/8" baltic birch from there.

Do you remember what you paid for it, @hasbridge?

It was something like $25.

Great! That is only a couple of dollars more than Plywood Company of Fort Worth, and if I remember correctly, Wood World is open on Saturday.

@PatrickO, I heard back from Plywood Company of Fort Worth. They quoted out 12 sheets of my 3mm Baltic Birch at $22 each, and 3 sheets of 12mm Baltic Birch at $24 each, and the deliver fee was quoted at $28.54.

That sounds like a great price. Unfortunately, I need to have my project done by Sunday. Can they deliver today or tomorrow?

Edited: Now that I look at the site (https://www.plywoodcompany.com/application/common/store/CategoryItemGrid.aspx?categoryid=114), the wood is “BIRCH, CHINESE C/LDO 12mm KRAFT PAPER OVERLAY BACK”. Do you have an experience in working with this? I’ve generally been told to stay away from Chinese plywood.

This place is in Carrollton on Beltline road - has anyone tried them for wood products?

I just called them, and they said they are wholesale supplier only.

The product that they quoted is product number 5BBBB.

http://www.plywoodcompany.com/application/common/store/CategoryItemGrid.aspx?categoryid=117

You can give them a call and see if they can deliver in that timeframe.

Got some 1/4" Baltic birch 5x5 (4 or 5) ply, can’t remember @ central hardwoods in Dallas today for $25 normally 28ish but mine had a bad corner. Dunno about thicker stock.

-Andy

Just a note, plywood always comes in odd numbers. [quote=“aallman72, post:12, topic:6503”]
(4 or 5) ply, can’t remember
[/quote]

1 Like

Is 5x5 a common size? I’m used to 4x8 and home depot, etc.

1 Like

Baltic birch from Europe is cut at 1525 x 1525 mm, which is just over 60 inches square. Depending on the number of plies, it can be 3, 6, 9 12, or 18 millimeters thick, which is slightly less than 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4".

1 Like

Thanks, I never knew that.

I used to work with Baltic birch that was 1 1/8" thick (28mm) and we bought it in 60" x 120" - very very heavy sheets

I’ve only seen Baltic Birch in 5x5. Some shops will use it for drawer sides, which makes sense for drawer lengths greater than ~24".

These folks… http://www.hlcdallas.com/ …sold me a very fine piece of 18mm by 4 foot by 8 foot Baltic Birch. (Though, I believe the 4 foot by 8 foot was not exactly 4*8 but a close metric size.) My only complaint is that the thickness was consistently a bit shy of 18mm at 17.6 mm.

The 12mm by 5 foot by 5 foot Baltic Birch from the same vendor was a bit rough (lots of patches; warped).

The total, including tax, for the two sheets was $113.12.

Bad phrasing on my part. I’ve only seen the 5x5 offered in Baltic Birch, not the other way around. Really good Baltic Birch (4x8, 3/4 nominal) is about $65/sheet at Central Hardwoods.

Happy Drinksgiving everybody!