Help Identifying a piece of machinery

I picked this up on a whim at an auction. It looks to be maybe an industrial laser of some type?
If anyone knows what it is please let me know!

Thanks!!!

1 Like

Can you supply a picture?

Sorry, took me a second to upload.

While I’m no where near certain, I’d WAG its for a smaller injection moulding machine. Hence base heater & gun heater.

That said, that’s my Wild Ass Guess, I could be completely off base.

Thanks! BTW it is very heavy, probaby 80lbs. It has markings near the top marking degrees from 420F-450F and there is a peice labeled “lens,” also near the top.

That’s about the right temp.
Here is a small one I worked on about 3 years ago. It didn’t have a wiring diagram & was built in the 60-70’s. So I had to create one.

It’s a beam device, but not a Laser. Note the large ringed connector, probably high vacuum. There are gas lines (lower vacuum or pressure) with electronic actuators, and several well insulated connectors at the back? I think these handle high voltage.

Here’s a wild guess, it’s a particle gun.

If you bring it down to the Science Lab, we’ll try to ID it. We’re all there on Sundays at 2:30 pm.

5 Likes

I second the idea of a high vacuum particle source. Notice that the large flange has a knife edge that could seal into a copper gasket.

I’ll forward the photos to someone who might actually have some more knowledge about this sort of stuff.

4 Likes

Another idea, maybe the electron source and scanning plates for a scanning electron microscope?

1 Like

I’d like to place my money with Tim on the “plastics injection” chingadera.

Too clean for a plastics injector. And the flanged fitting looks like it is for Ultra High Vacuum.

Very interesting! I does look like a small head injection hopper w/ preheat. My guess is the flange is for blowing in pelletized plastics. Or is it?

Be fun to finally know what it is.

The terminology is also not correct for injection molding. Nor is there any obvious screw or way to turn it.

Okay, I think I figured it out. It is for an electron microscope. Crazy. Now to figure out what the heck to do with it!

Does anybody have an idea what it will take to get it working?

That is the coolest thing to do with it.

1 Like

I’d like to get a look at it’s insides; the coils and configuration. It intrigues me that it has gas actuators, and what looks like a a sight glass 2/3 of the way down the bore.

We’re working on a Fusion experiment in Science Comm, and need an Ion Gun to couple with our Polywell. We also have a vacuum chamber and enough high voltage to fire that thing up. (You do not want to power it on in the atmosphere; instead of a particle gun, it would be more of a lightning gun!)

Please bring it to the Science meeting on Sunday. We start around 2:30 pm, and work most of the afternoon.

@Josh_Melnick @mossa @FairieCyanide @benhubel

1 Like