Help Houston, Who has a lifted truck & a Boat?

If anyone has a lifted truck/boat they are willing to allow me to use or drive with them down to Houston. There are so many people including my family. My mother/father’s home is in the Woodlands.

My Auth Ruth’s house is east of 45 off of Rayford and sawdust. They are flooded all the way up to the second story…

If anyone can help or knows someone who can. Please let me know.

Hey Wesley,

What are you planning on doing?

Often the Emergency service groups block access to flooded / disaster sites from the public. So it can be difficult to impossible to help at times if you do not have credentials. When the tornado came through Garland, I was stopped by police and not allowed into the neighbor to help my parents. When I pushed the topic, I was threatened with arrest. They said that they were not letting anyone in, even if your license showed you lived in the neighborhood.

Hope your family is safe and that the flooding reseeds quickly.

2 Likes

I heard about this earlier, https://twitter.com/ReadyHarris/status/901853696979587073

Seems if you are able to help they want to coordinate.

Best wishes!

1 Like

Licensed amateur radio operators are sometimes given access similar to first responders at disaster scenes. Just saying…

3 Likes

Typically, in addition to simply being a licensed HAM they must also belong to the Amateur Radio Emergency Services (ARES), and typically need to have had a background check before they are ‘approved’ for emergency response. Typically, they associate with the Red Cross who provide them their administrative services to get them cleared for any areas where they may come into contact with the public.

From the last Red Cross lecture at the Plano Amateur Radio club it was mentioned that these clearances were now required because folks had been abused in the past by volunteers…

3 Likes

Just a reminder that even lifted trucks can be washed away in flood waters. Not all pavement leading to water is a boat ramp.

Turn around, don’t drown.

3 Likes

If you are looking to help,
Download the Zello app. Add the “Texas Search and rescue channel” & “cajun navy” Chanel. They are actively coordinating rescue boats. There are multiple channels for each one. If you have family in the area I would try to get them into these channels to request boat rescues.

3 Likes

So excited to say that she was rescued! Thank you for that. I will download that app, because more people need help.

8 Likes

That was what I heard, there is a contact number but they are actively looking for help. Sort of a mini-Dunkirk.

2 Likes

That is great news!

I’m up to help, I have 2 jetskis and just cleared my work schedule to go and help. They are 3 person jetskis and plenty powerful enough to do what every we need. Give me a call at 214-789-5248. Lets get in there to help.

7 Likes

I have not followed the rules changes over the years, but when my brother was helping a friend after the Wylie tornado, he was waved through a checkpoint because he had radio operator tags on his car.

Having the word “ford” on your vehicle does not mean it can navigate deep water…

3 Likes

Found On River Dead?

Lets keep this on topic guys. I know your having fun, but Wesley and I are planning on heading to help today. If anyone else is up to help with a boat, my number is in the thread give me a call and I will try to help you coordinate.

2 Likes

Yep, local police will routinely allow HAMS in, but once the state and federal folks arrive, they start with the beauracracy. I was turned away from Hurricane Andrew in '92 because I was a licensed HAM, but had not received the Red Cross seal of approval.

In general both the weather watcher program and the emergency services response programs, require additional training beyond that needed for a simple HAM license. Background checks seem to be required for entry to any area where you might harm someone, or loot…

Denton county ARES requires two FEMA classes, (available online) keeping skywarn training not over 2 years old, and background check.

The skywarn I try to do annually, but still haven’t found the right roun-tuit for the FEMA classes.

The word “Jeep” does though

1 Like

I’d imagine the looting aspect of this is a huge concern.

Cop: Looking to do a little phishin’, eh?
https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/current-activity/2017/08/28/Potential-Hurricane-Harvey-Phishing-Scams

Any of you have a portable HAM radio that your willing to loan. I won’t be doing any broadcasting but would like to have one on hand if we need to listen in to it.