Help building metal lab bench

Is there anyone willing to help to design, estimate the price of materials, and then build a bench like this one? It is for the science lab in the maker space.

I’ve used these benches in the past and can provide a description of the materials and how the pieces are connected.

I can also do the actual work once someone shows me how. I’m good with handwork but never did anything with metal.

1 Like

@Team_Science FYI ^^^

No need to build a work bench like that. I just purchased a similar work bench at a local auction, complete with dual computer monitor mounting brackets, adjustable extra shelf, power strip, and heavy duty casters…all for only $25. I delivered it to DMS on Thursday and will be donating it to the Amateur Radio SIG. The bench is currently located in the 102 warehouse, back in the corner by all of the electrical panels, where the Amateur Radio SIG will be located. The table top marks shown in the photo below are just surface dirt and grime, it will clean up nicely.

These work benches routinely come up at local auctions and they never sell for much. So many of the auction buyers are Ebay re-sellers, items like this are too costly to ship on Ebay…therefore they usually go pretty cheap.

8 Likes

. . . and this is why Rich Meyer is one of the best people ever.

@richmeyer where can I find the time and location of those auctions?

Also, still would like to at least estimate how much will it cost to build bench. I would appreciate if someone can help. It probably will take an hour or two from you. Beer or pizza is on me.

Found this one https://www.renebates.com/index.php

Off topic, had to laugh, saw this one on your link, listed as “Running Condition Unknown”. Talk about being cautious in the description:

3 Likes

I bet that baby can do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds! (of course this would involve a cliff or other very steep drop…)

^^^@Team_Motorsports!^^^
The most lemony vehicle evah!

In other commentary regarding auction sites, Rene Bates does a lot of municipalities and school districts surplus.

https://www.slapsale.com/#!/ Is relatively new, I think. Some colleges have begun using this site to offload their stuff.

HiBid.com is a large national auction site umbrella- I think HiBid provides the online infrastructure for independent auction houses. The search feature is pretty good if you figure out good keywords for the sort of thing you want.

But be forewarned; serious rabbit hole dangers ahead.

2 Likes

Thank you @jrkriehn. Yeah, I’ve bought a fair share of the lab supplies on the auctions.

Another example of the bench. This one seems simpler to build.

For those folks who haven’t been around labs. A bench is usually much taller than a desk. It is 80-110 cm from the floor to the bench surface. So one can work standing or on a high chair. It has to be heavy and sturdy. It is more like a shop bench than a computer bench. It should not shake. Also, Ideally, if it has shelving on top of it.

Then you’ll like slapsale. The UNT med school in Fort Worth is one of their clients.

Yeah, checked all the auction sites. Did not find anything. People rarely sell them because they are large. In the past, I once was lucky to pick up them for free from a lab that was dismantled. But that was just a dumb luck on my side.

I looked up caveat emptor online, and this is the picture I found.

1 Like

My favorite online auction site is Worldwide Auction Group. You will need a credit card to get a $25 Bidders Number. This Bidders Number is valid forever, not only on this auction site but several other auction sites in the Metroplex as well. Such as Dallas Online Auction and Dallas Auction Group. Sometimes 5 or 6 seperate auctions every week.

Each of these online auction sites follow the same basic rules. Read the instructions for each auction carefully for dates and times. They strongly recommend you preview the sale, the posted pictures never tell you the whole story. All auctions are held online. Most of the time they close out 3 or 5 items every minute. When bidding they validate your credit card, no charges. Usually, the following day after the auction is the ONLY pickup day. They are very strict. They accept cash only, no credit cards. If you fail to pick up your items on the specified date, your credit card is charged and you lose the items. They will re-sell them again at the next auction. Strict but fair!

Probably the best thing is that there is no last second snipping allowed during the auction. Any item that has a bid within the last 2 minutes automatically extends the auction for an additional 2 minutes. So, the highest bidder will always get the item, no matter how long that takes. My secret is out…good luck in your bidding.

Edit: Don’t forget any bidder’s premium that may be charged, typically 15%.

5 Likes

Another secret is to have good bidding discipline. Otherwise you will be tempted to over pay. I’m always amazed to see some people pay more than retail for used stuff.