Hello! New Art teacher

Hi everyone! I’m Gena. I’m a visual artist and just joined the DMS tonight, referred from my friend and fellow teacher Megan.

I’m a modern calligrapher, and also love drawing, watercolor and other visual arts.

I plan on setting up an intro to calligraphy class soon to go over different calligraphic fonts, supplies and the basic strokes. Then I hope to move into teaching modern and bouncy calligraphy and maybe some older scripts if there is a demand.

Also would love to teach drawing. Intro to drawing with still life’s as well as moving into how to work with 1pt and 2pt perspective, shading and lighting. Also thought of a color theory class, with basic color and how to mix and use color in painting (watercolor or acrylic)

So excited to join this group and looking forward to meeting more or you and learning some new art classes!

Feel free to say hi!

-Gena

20 Likes

Welcome to DMS! My name is Shelby and I am also new here :slight_smile: I think all of those sound like great ideas! I would love a color theory class and especially stuff like using values in non traditional color schemes. I also am very bad at mixing acrylic and oil paints after being used to watercolor for so long

3 Likes

So excited you joined!!!
Calligraphy and intro to any art would be amazing!!!

2 Likes

Can’t wait to meet you! I hear you about acrylic! I have a temperamental relationship with acrylic which is why I stick with watercolor but we can totally work on a color theory class! We can start basic with color wheel discussion and basic mixing on the Red-yellow-blue primary colors since there is arguments on other color wheels (RGB, Hexagons, etc) and we can stick with the most basic

:slight_smile:

Welcome welcome!!

I’m super excited to meet you all, if you need any help setting up a class, or if you have unanswered questions etc, please send me a message and I’ll do what i can to answer.

We also have a new “Teacher Development” class on the calendar and Amelia is doing great teaching folks how to teach!

If you have questions, ask away!

Mark (Creative Arts chair)

4 Likes

I agree. My mother-in-law was a calligrapher hobbyist and I inherited her tools.

1 Like

Welcome! I’d love to learn more watercolor for my mosaics!

2 Likes

It’s on my list! Will setup hopefully in 30 days or so!

1 Like

I would love these classes as well! Thanks for offering!

1 Like

I have Intro to Calligraphy now on the events schedule! Sunday, August 27 at 12pm in the lecture room!

Also have a level 1 calligraphy class on the events for September 3!

4 Likes

A calligraphy class would be amazing. I always feel like I am cheating using the newer chisel cut markers. I haven’t had my metal tips out in many years. And I have not heard of modern calligraphy.

1 Like

Hi @Genat !
I registered for the 9/2 Basic Drawing session. I assume that’s yours???
Just wondering, what supplies do you suggest we bring? (I am very basic…)
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi there! Yes that’s me! No need to bring any supplies unless you like specific drawing pencils or paper. All supplies will be included!

Can’t wait to meet/see you next weekend!

-Gena

2 Likes

Welcome Gena!
I’m looking forward to learning modern calligraphy!

1 Like