Hatcher's Updates! 7-31-17

Hey Hatcher’s Members and Future Hatcher’s members,

Please give us an update of projects and working going on around Hatcher’s with you?

This last weekend I used Hatcher’s a bit. I cleaned the new rifle in our little closet with no issue thanks to the awesome cleaning rod with the sliding handle. @Gimli thought cleaning long rifle like this would be a near impossibility with the size of the room, but it works well. At full extension you are with in an inch of the wall, but the handle being able to slide mitigates that issue.

I also printed a copy of the pistol grip that Russel has been working on for the last 7+ months. Wow, is it impressively comfortable. I didn’t realize how the thumb shelf moves your grip up a bit. The grip completely fixed an issue I thought I had with my trigger pull and finger mechanics. Awesome work on this Russel. Some finer detail info for follow up prints. I printed my model with 6 wrap wall thickness and 20% infill. I would suggest doubling that to 12 or possibly 15 wraps. It will give the grip a bit more stability where it needs it at the connection points and walls of the print without the crazy the draw backs of 100% infill. Also, I tried a new finishing technique on the grip. I sanded the 3d print and flame polished the scratches with a torch. This was a quick and easy way to remove the layer line look. I will continue to play with its to better the results.

Sunday, Russel took Ebony and I out to Terrell Pistol and Rifle Club to shoot at 200. I brought a bunch of pistols and my Rifle with the new grip! It is purple in the picture above. Found out that I hadn’t correctly sized the neck on the 308 I loaded and was not able to shoot the new rifle. :sob: But, Russel let Ebony and I shoot his amazing 223 rifle and I learned a ton switching back and forth with Ebony between shooting and coaching. We then went to the pistol range and I got to introduce Ebony to my some of my pistols. I was hoping to zero some of my red dot sights, but I left the tools at the house. Geez, I couldn’t do anything right. :rofl: But, it was a blast! Thanks for taking the time Russel and Ebony.

Committee Business: @thatguy need you to follow up with @bhouse on the selling of the progressive press to help get funds for the casting equipment. Also, need to follow up with @Axel_Ohmstede on the lead. PS, thanks again for being committee head, your support is appreciated.

2 Likes

Just a heads up. He’s got some things going on at the moment. Can’t speak for him, but I’m not thinking that hatchers will be at the front of his mind for a few days.

I know whats up, These just need official approval so we can clear them out of the back log. Once I have that I can handle the rest.

I will touch base with @bhouse as soon as I can. My family has had a lose today and I will probably be a little slow to reply to things like this for a few days. Please give me some time

Go ahead and handle things for me for a few days @Nick

Thank you sir,
If you need anything, just ask. It is no trouble. Hope the family is staying strong with you.

@Nick,

If we can meet tomorrow, I will bring the money and pick up the press.

Steve was going to find out how I should pay. I can bring cash, check, etc.

Just let me know and I can do it ASAP.

Cash is the easiest.

Which press are you selling?

The hornady progressive press. We are hoping to transition to multiple rock chuckers in the future to better serves reloading classes as you can have all stages setup independently both showing an explaining the process. The progressive press is very nice, but it has proven to be hard to teach on. Plus, progressive presses are better suited for the set it and forget it model, where you are not constantly changing calibers. The Dylan really taught us this lesson as it is particularly fiddly to setup and has numerous special little parts that are hard to keep track of.

1 Like