Hard stop bar on the Sherline lathe is bent

and again - this is why we can’t have nice things.
it has been reported that the hard stop bar is bent. it would have taken some real effort to bend that bar and probably explains why the z and x knobs are getting ‘spung’ and hard to turn.

I can’t make it today. If someone is around can you see about removing the bar, please. I’m sure we have a replacement or we can make one. thanks.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine how someone could bend it (unless they used it as a tool on something else) … but if it got bent while it was on the Sherline then I’m glad it was there. Better to sacrifice that bar than the chuck or tooling.

1 Like

I had trouble moving the bar when I was using it the other day, I guess this answers why…

1 Like

I agree, except if they were “Cranking down hard” on the axis control, that starts to act as a shear pin.

2 Likes

yes indeed. I’ve noticed the X axis is now a lot harder to turn so its probably been cranked on. we need to take that apart and see what’s up. Best scenerio is it is just a piece of scrap under the slide. I’ve got a sherline class Weds and it will likely make it thru the class, but right afterwards it should be maintenanced

1 Like

@nicksilva I looked at the lathe while at the space tonight and fixed the problem. The rod was being deformed by the screw that locks it in place. I took the rod out, cleaned up the diameter on the Clausing and milled a flat on it for the screw to lock down on. I also cleaned up the end of the screw and made the end smaller to hopefully prevent anymore deformation.

The X axis gib was too tight. I disassembled the cross slide from the carriage, cleaned it, oiled it with way lube and reassembled. The gib is now adjusted to allow for freer movement and I locked it down with its lock screw. It was loose before.

14 Likes

Many thanks and especially for detailing the problems. Well done!!

2 Likes

Welcome!

Post must be…

woo hoo! thank you for doing all that.

6 Likes

You’re welcome Nick!

1 Like

Don’t even know what a Sherline lathe is (I don’t use the machine shop yet).
I am once again impressed how someone hears of a problem and steps up to fix it here at DMS. Sometimes it seems like all I hear about on Talk are unresolved problems with behavior. In this case, I got to hear about one of the DMS heros.
Thanks for your time, effort, and knowledge.

4 Likes

Sherline is actually a brand name. We have two Sherline desktop lathes and a Sherline desk top mill.

And yes, there are Heroes. They keep this space running. They are why we try to have nice things.

2 Likes

I apologize for the misdiagnosis. Hopefully that did not lead @sbwart too far astray or cause @nicksilva too much vexation.

Thank you @sbwart for not just fixing the problem but improving the tool! (If the day goes as planned I will be there this evening for some “beta testing”.)

4 Likes

Hey, you were giving your guess. That’s still helping.

4 Likes