Happy Programmer's Day

5 Likes

3 Likes

I don’t know how long big compiles take these days but the cartoon is very appropriate for several decades back when you would submit your tray of a couple of thousand Hollerith cards and check back a couple of hours later. Big jobs could be submitted on a lower priority and picked up the next morning. Of course a single character out of place meant you could repeat the cycle again!

1 Like

Given one is using a CICD system, minutes. Building locally, enough time to go for a short raid with nerf guns on the networking team.

1 Like

Programmer… cough cough I think you misspelled Software Developer… :stuck_out_tongue:

If a micro-serivce takes that long to compile … time to break it up or refactor but i remember having to compile the linux kernal all the time and that took a bit back in the day

I’m primarily referencing using the world’s first supercomputer in the late 60s, Seymour Cray’s CDC 6600. A couple thousand cards only took a few seconds to compile but the input queue often had hundreds of jobs with ten running at any one time from remote sites all over the southwest. Storing user source or object code on the hard drive was not available for the first year. Time was billed by the second at a rate of from $800.00 to $1,200.00 per hour. I worked for CDC and the data center was a cash cow. It was one of the most fun times of my career.

3 Likes

In the early 90s, I worked on a huge (for the time) Windows app totalling about two megabytes of executable files. Our development machines were mostly 100 MHz 486DX. Rebuilding the entire system takes several hours if a “popular” header file has been modified.

I had the idea of buying those red rotating lights from RadioShack and interfacing them to our machines’ parallel ports so that they run whenever a build is in progress. The thought was that if management looked out over the office and saw an ocean of blinking lights, we would soon get faster systems. Before we could hatch that plan, machines got cheaper and we got a fleet of Pentium 120s.

3 Likes

I used some IBM mainframes in college. Whenever the job was waiting in the queue, its status was “awaiting execution.” We called it death row…

3 Likes