Handyman Bootcamp

A quick heads up, this will not be a class at DMS; this is something that I am thinking of running in the winter as part of my business. This is just to get an idea of if anyone here would be interested in taking it; as well as seeing if anyone has any suggestions that they want to add

The basic idea is that I would charge people (the current amount is $50) to teach them the top ten tasks that handymen get called in to fix, since most of those are relatively easy to do. The course would run for about 6 hours or so. the current tasks that i have are

1. how to change a light switch
  2. how to install a ceiling fan
  3. how to patch a hole in the wall
  4. how to install trim properly
  5. how to hang a television
  6. how to change a sink drain
  7. how to lay a bead of caulk
  8. how to replace drywall (for very large holes)
  9. how to properly paint a wall
  10. how to how to fix a furniture leg

thoughts, comments, suggestions?

10 Likes

Just a note of caution on the electrical & plumbing classes - there are some folks that I have encountered that happen to be “licensed” in those trades that make it a point to out that only a “licensed” trades-person may legally by permit/code replace a switch, change a plumbing fixture etc.

Note: I am not a fan of said licensing.

2 Likes

I might be wrong, but i’m pretty sure that those codes only cover charging people to replace them; I don’t think that they cover people doing their own home repairs

2 Likes

At one time , in far distant past, the 1950s a Homeowner
had to get a building permit to put a shelf up in claset You could hand a picture on the wall with one
and that was about it