Hammer Restoration and Re-handling class posted for the 17th

I’ve just posted a unique class for Friday Feb 17, 2023 at 7PM. It is a class taught by Frank Machado of Two Basterds. Frank re-handles hammers in general and blacksmithing hammers in particular. You can find out more here: F&N Metalwerks /Two Basterds TX Smithy & Supplies

I persuaded Frank to come and teach a class in the blacksmithing shop on how he does this. He’s going to bring some of his own tools and use our KMG grinder to demonstrate how he restores and re-handles hammers. The class is $10 to register and $10 in cash to Frank for the handle. You can bring an old hammer of your own that you want restored or Frank will provide hammer heads for you to re-handle.

Frank sells his restored and new hammers to the public for $125 to $200 each. He also gives a discount to DMS members if you want to buy one of his custom hammers. His custom hammers have been used by contestants on Forged in Fire and by many notable blacksmiths in the world.

Come and meet Frank and learn how he re-handles and restores his hammers. You won’t regret it.
So dig out your old hammer you’ve always wanted to re-handle and bring it to this unique class.

6 Likes

This is on the calendar

Is this still on for tonight? I was just about to sign up for it, then saw it was gone from the calendar.

I’m sorry, but as I only had two students signed up for it and I had invited a guest instructor I cancelled the class for this evening. I will be putting up a similar class for another day.

Fair enough, shame on me for not signing up earlier. Will be on the lookout for a future session, thanks!

I’ve replaced a bunch of handles and will sign up for the next time. Im out if town this weekend.

I’m also interested the next time you have a class.

Thanks everyone for your interest. Sometimes the scheduling time doesn’t work out well, sometimes it is the fact that there are a lot of other classes which conflict and sometimes it is just not promoted well. Regardless I’ll put it on the schedule again soon. I’m probably going to schedule another class for a couple of weeks from now. I’m going to speak with Frank Machado this weekend to put a plan together.

I’ll show off some of Frank’s work soon, too.

I just posted this class up again for Monday the 27th of February at 7PM. We’re trying a Monday night instead of Friday this time.

Frank is going to bring some example hammers for sale and to show off. He’s also going to bring some additional equipment for us to use. There are 10 spots open in the class and I’ve opened it up to anyone, not just DMS members. Frank is going to post it on his website and promote it elsewhere on his Facebook page, Broohaven Blacksmithing’s page and Instagram etc. @Julie-Harris @rlisbona @davidh, Jessie Grubs, Eleazar Juarez ya’ll all expressed an interest so please look for the class.

Just as before the class costs $10 to register and $10 for a handle in the class.

1 Like

It is on the calendar :slight_smile: I think I have something else on that Monday night so I’ll contact him later about restoring one of my hammers. Thank you for organizing this!