Hail damage, need new roof, had a question

Insurance says they’ll pay for a new roof, so that’s good, and there’s enough ancillary cosmetic stuff so our deductible should be covered, so that’s good.

All the roofers I’m talking to say, “hey let’s see your paperwork from the insurance and we’ll get your bid to you,” and even the insurance company says “show this estimate to your contractor.”

Is it typical to show the roofing contractors the insurance estimate when getting bids? I work in healthcare insurance fraud (hmm, maybe I should rephrase that), and that sounds rife for abuse. But if that’s what one does then that’s what we do I guess.

I just had a roof put on my home. I have a friend I’ve known for 35 years who represents a company who roofs homes. He and I have been members of the same church for a very long time. The company he represents did an outstanding job, too.

He asked for the estimate from USAA because he said he wanted to save us the deductible and he did. Essentially, the roofing appraisers are very close to the cost of replacing a roof. Some shingles will actually lower your insurance costs, too.

If you want my friend’s name shoot me an IM and I’ll pass along his contact info.
He also represents fence companies, painters, etc.

1 Like

No there is no reason to show them what your insurance company is going to pay.

That is your option.

USAA is great.

2 Likes

Totally agree, that’s who we have. They were awesome when we had a water leak last year.

I didn’t have to show my claim to the guy who did my roof, but he is a friend and he said he could save me the deductible and he did.

Hey James,
I also have a friend that is an honest Roofer, his name is Bob with T-Rock Roofing, 407-256-1532.
Bob has explained to me over the years that you need a qualified roofer to deal with the insurance for you. This is important, because a good company can go back to the insurance and push for further coverage for more than just roof damage. Definitely share the estimate from you insurance with whatever roofer you end up working with if they are honest, they can go to bat for you with that info.

Make sure you use a good honest roofer that people you know have used. Try to stay away from non-local companies, as storm chasing fly by night companies pop up all the time in this industry and disappear just as quick, often leaving you with a warranty that you can not claim on as the business is no longer around.

1 Like

I had the same experience with my roofer.
Honest, Prompt, Professional and Timely.

James - if you want my roofer’s info here:
https://www.landryconstructiontx.com/

Lance Boscamp 972-212-5261

1 Like

As much as I hate social media, Facebook and Nextdoor are great tools for locating contractors. Or at least ones that haven’t screwed over people in my particular neck of the woods! :smiley:

I have professional roofers that live 2 doors down from me and he has been in that business for at least 10 years. When I get outa my hole, I’ll probably walk down and ask him for a quote (I’m outside my insurance coverage from back when I was unemployed and we used the check to keep the house mortgage)

1 Like

Not related to estimate do’s and don’ts, but see if the paperwork shows what class shingle they have approved. When I replaced my roof, I was replacing class 3 shingles. The estimator from State Farm said to consider spending the money for class 5 wind & hail-resistant, as there are discounts for that level of shingle. I got the roofing quotes both ways, then went to my agents office to ask what the discount would take off of my insurance. We calculated that the roof upgrade would pay for itself in less than 2 years. (Mmv)

4 Likes

I’m going to be paying, (actually paying, not insurance paying) for my roof here soon. I’m looking into many variables as far as the roof goes. This includes the brand of roofing material, GAF, Owens Corning & Certainteed. I have heard horror stories of other manufacturers & their lack of warranty.

I’m also looking at different upgrades that would reduce my premiums, possibly even going with a synthetic roof or a metal roof. Those apparently have lower premiums due to their ability to have less damage due to hail.

No I wouldn’t show them my insurance estimate either. Make sure you get someone who is insured. Last thing you need is a roofer getting hurt on your property & making a claim on your homeowners insurance as a result.

3 Likes

These are all great questions and ideas,
I just called my buddy Bob and asked him to pop on and try to help your guys out with the options and the questions to ask. Hopefully he pops on soon.

1 Like

Thanks Nick! I can help you out if you would like to contact me. I can go over things with you and help you out. We are fully insured. There’s lots of questions here that I can answer for you. We are an award winning company and I would recommend you look at reputable company’s as there are so many out there that will never come back if you get a leak or have any issues afterwards. My number is: Bob - 817-264-6366

2 Likes

Based on the hail damage I had a few years back, I’d also look beyond just the roof: gutters, window trim, the spa cover, horse trailer roof, and cars all took damage. Curiously, our 4Runner took no damage but the Forrester parked next to it had over $6k in hail damage.

4 Likes