Hacking Capture The Flag this month?

I believe there is supposed to be a infosec CTF meet up on this friday? (3rd friday)? Just checking on that.

1 Like

Yes, we can do one this Friday. It would be more simpler than our last one.

Plus, we should also able to do some things with lock sport and phone phreaking via the new payphone as a side bar given things hasn’t gotten lost in the holiday shipping season.

1 Like

oh fun! Yeah I am definitely going to set aside some time for that. I guess I’ll just swing by at 7 pm or so and hope for the best until i hear otherwise.

1 Like

Would appreciate not using acronyms. What is CTF? If you want to expand your classes to include others at the Makerspace, please use more descriptive wording in your titles. I am sure that I am not the only one confused.

3 Likes

Capture the Flag…

1 Like

Here is a good summary

ah sorry! I’m not a hundred percent sure how Talk works. I thought this would be nested in the VCC as a sub forum where it would make much more sense in context.

That is how it should work but we don’t hide away things by default … you can view just VCC stuff but most just view everything. It kinda doesn’t make sense to have separate categories if they aren’t separate?

Discourse, what talk is based on, does groups however but we don’t use them. Not sure why

eh i mean, i’d be pretty annoyed if i had to click in and out of things. and makign everything super compartmentalized makes it easy to miss stuff that i’d otherwise want to see but wouldn’t think about subscribing for. (YinMn blue is a great example)

2 Likes

Because we don’t want to. We like getting “everything” in the “latest” feed. We like letting people filter for themselves, even if it occasionally confuses one or two individuals…

Thanks for editing the title of this thread. It sure make makes more sense now.

Some of us make it a point to read every post on TALK that is available to them. It keeps me more aware of everything going on at the Dallas Makerspace.

4 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

OR
folks who don’t want to read some topics can just choose NOT to click on topics they don’t want to continue reading…

Folks don’t do that. It doesn’t happen very often. Yes, I’m sure some will point out that they do but they are not the folks I’m talking about. The people that come here to make and not administrate or debate about what bloody color a chair will be.

But this is getting way off topic … lets get back to CTF

Dude … no need to be like that …
We are all here to make something happen and make stuff … there is no problem here

@richmeyer, I’d just like to point out when one google’s for “CTF” they get infosec training an challenges as this one is. When they google for “Capture the Flag” they get a child’s game similar to tag and flag football.

In the tech world we tend to use acronyms not to sound elitist but because the similar word or saying we use has a different meaning among the populace of people that think a computer is a thing you use to get on the internet.

Its the same concept as if a chef walked into metal shop and started calling a refectory furnace an oven. Sure they both do the same thing, heat things, but they have different meanings to different people.

Me?
Me don’t be like that?
I have to.
Decorum requires that I speak up when a facet of DMS which I appreciate comes under attack, for example, sucker punching the setup of TALK when the thread is ostensibly about CTF and, tangentially, use of acronyms. Some folks like to wander into threads and take a sniping jab or two at thing which have nothing to do with the thread. This thread was the victim of such. Not taking action against these is perceived as tantamount to agreement therewith. I do not agree. And I grow weary of the near-continuous barrage of disparaging comments which, when assuaged, lead DMS to places I would rather it not go.

There wouldn’t be if we could keep the sniping out of it.

Then let’s do that, and stop with the sidewinder attacks on the institution. They deserve to be discussed in their own thread, not tossed like peppercorns onto the salad of discourse which is other threads.

1 Like