Hacking a medical device

An interesting read about hacking old insulin pumps:

What they do not discus is why the medical equipment manufacturers do not close the ‘loop’ themselves. Purely for liability reasons. They do not want to remove the human step of calculating and administering the insulin.

I’m reminded that my CPAP machine has an SD card that surely contains a settings file that could mayhaps be tweaked by an enterprising user for free rather than kissing the ring for a few hondo and enjoying a terrible night’s sleep at a sleep study center so they can do the same.

2 Likes

With enough Googling I’ve found postings on how to change the settings for my last 3 CPAP machines. Once you find the secret series of buttons to push just tweak the settings a small amount each night until you find the sweet spot. On all of mine the SD card was used to capture actual nightly data - how long machine ran, how the pressure auto adjusted and ramped up, etc. I’ve been wanting to hack the data on the card but haven’t gotten around to it. Mine all ran without a SD card inserted so I assume the actual settings are stored elsewhere on the machine. Maybe we should have a CPAP meetup at the Space - I’m confident there are a bunch of us.

1 Like

I guess I need to find one of these pumps.

I have a couple insulin pumps, one currently in production :wink:

My latest pump (Medtronic 670G), which I got last month, is actually a hybrid closed loop system, wherein the pump uses continuous glucose monitoring values and calculates and administers small boluses every 5 minutes instead of a traditional basal rate, when necessary to bring glucose levels back into range. The technology is advancing rapidly and is very exciting.

Do you have any of the hackable ones for a type 1 with shitty insurance?

Former cpap user, went with 2 surgeries and my sleep apnea is fixed

1 Like

Let me see if I can find one. I know I have to return one to get a “trade-in” credit on my new pump.