Haas Vf2 Table Tray

After several failed attempts to describe a table tray for our Haas, I did some google digging and found some picts:

Purpose is to help keep cutting fluid and cuttings off the ways and direct towards the front. I have yet to find one these listed by itself for sale. Doesn’t mean it’s not out there, just haven’t found one. Possible MetalShop project??

Kinda figured that after seeing the nicely done fan enclosure done for Science.

looks like it just over lays over the table. Of course in our case we’ve got the big aluminum slab over our table which is probably a bit overiszed. LIke Zach said, the plamaCam would make short work of it.

I’d agree. Easy peasy. I’d TIG those corners.

I don’t think that’s a problem. Last time I looked at the Haas the table has the regularly spaced threaded holes around the perimeter for the allen bolts that attach the tray.

Note that is “U” shaped and open in the back. Not being metal fab guy, my guess is the most difficult part of fabbing one of these would be the inside lip that attaches to the table. Straight, orthogonal w/ bolt holes in the needed locations.

If we decide to DIY, I have some ideas that might make cuttings clean up during/after a project easier.

we’ll have to see if we have an shekels left. I need to spend the money to fix the missing button on the spindle before anything else. $175 for a freaking button. But I guess it will work underwater or in the vacumn of space.

I really would like to do it. If it works out I can suggest the same thing to the college. They’ve been pretty open to ideas that make things cleaner. Apparently, the dean HATES the aluminum shavings that end up on HIS carpets.

I’d do some searching for hermetically sealed switches to find a cheaper replacement.

It could underlay the sacrificial plate, would think, 22 ga would be fine, just forming the lips. worst case is do .010’ surface skim with facing mill to ensure flatness again.

Another advantage of this when doing plastics a screen could be set up over the auger to catch those cuttings to keep out of the Aluminum. Coolant would still flow through and circulate.

@artg_dms good idea to ponder. You can have a second serving of ice cream at BBQ next Sunday! If the machine’s down, I’ll treat you to Dairy Queen.