HAAS Training Part 1: CAD/CAM class scheduled

The new class materials are completed and the dry run of the class has been completed with a refresher for members who previously have taken the class so it’s time to roll out the new class for all members.
I’ve scheduled a class for Tuesday, April 4. Class should go live on the Calendar in 240 hours.

This is the first of 3 required classes to gain access to the HAAS CNC mill. We’ve broken up the process into 3 classes to give students time to do the work and decompress compared to the the previous 15 hours of mind numbing marathon learning and walk thru.

The first class is $30. <- there I’ve mentioned it so no one can complain about being surprised.
No previous CNC experience is required.

This class is for new students. Members who have previously taken the domino class will likely have the opportunity to retake a seperate class at no charge as more instructors come online and can schedule them in.

9 Likes

Correction 72 hours.

I’m hoping to get a spot in the class. I took the previous Domino class, but it was so long ago, and I never really even got started in the CAD software, let alone working on the CAM side, so I’d rather start from the ground floor.

I assume that the classes will focus on Fusion360? Should we plan to be there with a computer loaded with the software already? I’m slammed at work but have some windshield (passenger) and flights coming up, so I might try to familiarize myself with the software at least a little bit.

3 Likes

Since you have already paid for the old class you could wait for a free slot in a class for prior attendees. For a seat in this class you will have to pay a new fee…

My suggestion is that you just show up to listen and watch. The handout available after the class provides all the detail you can possibly need to perform the steps on your own after the class.

3 Likes

Nick, do I recall correctly that part 2 (at the machine) is anticipated to be about $20? and part 3 (checkout) is anticipated to be about $25?

2 Likes

Yes, that is the fee schedule decided by our benevolent dictator! @Photomancer

1 Like

In my Benevolence, since we broke it up into sections, if you decide after the CAD portion that the Bridgeport is looking better, you can bail and only have $30 invested in a CAD class. The second portion for those survivors that decided to stay on the Island, is $20. If you are of sterner stuff you can go for it and take the test for $25.

Please note that the first two classes the instructor and committee are eligible for Honorariums. The second class will probably be size limited to about 6 or 8 so that individuals can see the machine better and better able to handle questions.

The individual testing is one-or-one and the payment will be made directly to the instructor to encourage more testers. It takes a couple hours usually. Machine Shop doesn’t make anything on this last portion. But the total cost is still $75 for the entire series of classes. Which in the old structure was 15 hours plus test time.

I think this new system will have a lot more members graduating to become qualified users of the HAAS machining center - an awesome tool.

2 Likes

oops! coffee! where’s my coffee!

2 Likes

you are correct. Fusioin360 is what is used. You won’t need any type of computer. We’ll walk everyone thru it and you will do the work offline with your own version of 360 or on the Jump server. It is a very easy to use interface and there are more YouTube videos on 350 than can be mentioned. here is a good PDF ‘manual’ that is a good place to start:
F360 online PDF

1 Like

the class is now live on the Calendar. 15 slots open.

3 Likes

14 :grin:

1 Like

I am curious how you plan to fit 15 into the Conference Room…

1 Like

thank you for catching that. It was suppose to be the Lecture hall. I’ve updated the listing and it didn’t give an error so hopefully all is well. cheers!

2 Likes

That worked! I am rather surprised you could do that without divine intervention from the Calendar admins.

1 Like

yes and it’s reflected in the class offering so I’m guessing no one else had reserved it yet.

1 Like

Count me in. I just got my spot reserved.

1 Like

we’re half way full already. almost as fast as my metal pen class. Hmm, I need to do that again too.

1 Like

Thanks for all your work in preparing and setting these classes up. Unfortunately, I travel during the week so cannot attend during the week. I am really interested in having access to the Hass, so please consider scheduling a set of classes for a weekend or weekends.

My days are limited (especially Saturdays) until the end of May due to school. Once I’m done I’ll have more free days. There are other teachers trained so hopefully they can schedule a weekend. Don’t despair - we’re just getting started so more classes are on the way.

The April 11 class is now live on the Calendar.

1 Like