HAAS Team Sign-up

Ok… so the Tuesday (12/20) at 7pm… that’s sounds like a great timing.
And yes… adding that to the list.

If you can’t reserve a classroom - for now there is plenty of room in the center near the HAAS where you can meet.

1 Like

LOL… LOL… Yeah, you can seriously park a full-size SUV in that space now

When we get the new table and bench and things set up, it will will start filling but much more user friendly.

1 Like

Here is a link to a good Fusion 360 Tool Library Tutorial. It discusses creating a Master Tool Library, a backup copy of the Master and copying the Master library into your CAM file:

John also recommends using templates:

1 Like

It’s perfect timing that you bring this up David. Last night I was at the space and had a “soft” crash as I’m calling it. Which just means I caught it before it would have crashed. It identified a few interesting issues.

• Not all the tools in the tool crip I was using are correct.
    * There are incorrectly shaped holders and end mills.
  • The post processing no longer prints the greatest depth in the start of your g-code.
  • There is this odd P48 that gets added to the g-code for G54.
  • The finish of the g-code sends the table Home, not to the door.
  • When streaming g-code to the HAAS it has a known issue with codes that have line numbers up near the 100,000 mark. (Yep, my code went to 365,645… bothersome fix for this)

Most of this is really easy to fix, but the first one made me rethink our current procedures for our tool crib.
I’m really of the mindset that we should remove all the tools from the HAAS except those most frequently used - 1/2" & 1/4" roughing end mills, 1/2" & 1/4" & 1/8" end mills, the Face mill, the Spot drill (funny), the chamfer, and the haimer. I’m thinking that theses 9 tools should live in spots 2-10 and the other spots should be open. Why?

The thought here is that we could get a set of empty holders and make those available to those of use that desire the ability to use our own end mills. The way HSM works out every time you create your g-code you’re effectively building the required tool crib. That said I think we should follow that same thought all the way through to the HAAS itself. Physically VERIFY the tools being used.

Thoughts?

I like the idea of empty spots for user-supplied
mills and physically verifying each tool to be used. The user will have a little more invested in the job (the cost of their end mills) and may protect the Haas from being damaged.

1 Like

I ran across this link to Pier 9 and it allows you to download their Fusion 360 tool library for their Haas VF-2 SS. It may not be compatible to our VF-2, but I thought it was interesting to see how they had all the parameters setup for each tool and tool holder.

Perhaps when our coffers are replenished, we can consider something like this:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=206627

FTDI makes some cool DB9 M and F pinout styles of their USB to RS-232 adapter. You desolder the DB9 M or DB9 F connector and replace it with theirs and it has a mini-USB jack on it.

It’s a slick way to update a machine.

Robert,

Are you still using the post processor and tool crib I sent you? If so, it should still print Z min.

See below from one of my files.
O1001 (TOOLHOLDERSMALL)
(T10 D=0.5 CR=0. - ZMIN=-0.5 - FLAT END MILL)
(T16 D=0.5 CR=0. TAPER=45DEG - ZMIN=-0.25 - CHAMFER MILL)
(T19 D=0.3281 CR=0. TAPER=118DEG - ZMIN=-0.5736 - DRILL)

Also, when using the post processor I sent you I never have had the text “P48” in my code.

Futhermore, one thing that I did notice about the tool crib that I shared with you is that tools 15, 16, and 17 do not match the original number that we used in FeatureCAM. The 1/4" spot always used to be in 16, not 15, and the 1/2" spot always used to be in 17 instead of 16. Traditionally we kept a 0.6" diameter 90 degree countersink in slot 18 and not the 0.8" chamfer mill shown in the new tool crib.

When using the HAAS I always check each tool used in my program as well as verify the tool length offset before running a program. If you use the 2" blue touch off block it just takes a couple minutes.

1 Like

I think this is a good idea. I will attend to discuss what I have been doing concerning the class material for an updated HAAS class (which is mostly still at the planning stage).

Instead of spending time on rolling your own lights, consider weatherproof lighting such as:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FSD44RI/ref=psdc_14107631_t2_B007CEVJKW

A light in/near each of the front corners will probably provide more than enough light.

1 Like

I was also going to recommend going with light pods to make it easier.

Something like these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HTXANFC/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1482099880&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=led+light+bar

My preference is to get ready made weather-proof lights like the Halogen lights used for outdoor work. LED’s are fine also. But rather than try make them, lets get UL rated lights since they will be in a wet environment. Example: $20 each

This will save time. Let me know what you want and I’ll order.

All,
Using the lights everyone has found is fine, I think we were just going with what was already present and free. If we have the budget or the willingness to order a light - awesome :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’ve been using the same one I got from you.
I said I would ask Walter about the line of code that creates that P48 and see what’s going on there. The math on it is sound from what I saw in the post processor code, just not sure why dwell time would be connected to work offsets.

The tools thing, now that is something different right. I think there might be a majority that likes the idea of changing out tool crib procedures. That said, those tool slots may be empty going forward.

Good idea, but these are not dimmable. I think being able to dim them is important, as sometimes you need light but going to 100% washes out detail.

1 Like

Sooooo just like that - Life happens… they’ve moved my office Christmas dinner to tomorrow at 6:30pm (Joy)

Who all was planning to attend the meeting tomorrow at 7pm?

Aye

1 Like