Great News for CAM enthusiasts!

I successfully sent g-code from Fusion 360 directly to the MultiCam and it executed it flawlessly. This is a huge milestone for anyone who loves to design and cut things on the MultiCam. Whether you do 2D, 2.5D or flipped 3D this is fantastic. Fusion 360 is extremely powerful and much better than V-carve or Aspire. @nicksilva Even better news! You can directly CAM an STL in Fusion 360 regardless of size or complexity. No need to turn it into a solid. It will CAM mesh! Just found out tonight!
The great thing about Fusion 360 is the advanced toolpaths. So much better than V-carve or Aspire! You get cleaner, smoother and faster cuts!
Let the Making Begin!!!

20 Likes

I have GOT to see that in action. I was trying the other day and still could only get a paltry 10K facet STL into fusion and convert it. If no conversion is necessary then it will be a great boon for me and can finally settle on one CAD/CAM SOFTWARE. I’ll catch up with you this week or at your Sunday class. cheers!

5 Likes

I want to see this also! Kee set up a class or event, something for us to see what you’ve learnt :smiley:

3 Likes

Ok! Watch for some advanced classes coming in the near future.
I may just set up a “freestyle” class on the many cool techniques I’ve come to learn using Fusion 360.

1. Modeling extremely complex objects parametrically.
  2. Material simulations like modal frequency analysis, material stress simulation and thermal stress testing.
  3. Tool path strategies (which I’m most excited about). Tool paths are a real art form and make the difference between a 4 hour job that looks crappy and requires a lot of manual clean up VS one that gives your material a finished look in under an hour. This subject is extremely complex and requires much practice.
    I’m super excited about the immense possibilities for Makers using this tech. It has a huge learning curve but pays off big time!
13 Likes

Yesterday I taught how to flip 3D a nine side bowl. I decided to do it exclusively with Fusion 360. The class was excellent and we all learned some really cool exciting techniques in modeling, material hold down but most importantly how to flip your project in Fusion so it all makes sense. We generated the appropriate tool paths and learned how to send it to the MultiCam.
I have a bit more testing to do to make sure the MultiCam is receiving the correct feeds and speeds. Then I’ll be able to teach a hard core extreme Fusion 360 / MultiCam class (emphasis on the slash).!

6 Likes

The class was fascinating and the underlying concepts were amazing. Am working on a simple practice to try and implement what I learned.

2 Likes

I too enjoyed the class. If I can come up with a good hold down strategy, I’d like to try some type of bowl on the HAAS. thank you Kee.

1 Like

Can you split the project into two paths first holding one side then the other?

I’ve been doing that with a small CNC machine with great success. I split the project into “left” and “right” (or “left”, “right” and “center”). The material is held on the right while running a toolpath for the left then vice versa. With about 3/4 of a tool diameter overlap between the two sides the results are good to great.

Sounds to me that you are tiling the project. It’s when the project is
bigger than the machine cutting real estate.

1 Like

The screen we briefly discussed today was clocking out at 12 hours as it stood. Whatever time spent learning fusion I imagine it will definitely be worth it! Thanks for all your classes. I am terrible at learning from a tech manual

1 Like

Thanks. “Tiling”. That’s a great keyword (first two hits)…
https://www.google.com/search?q=tiling+cam

In my case it makes creating a curvy part a breeze. Fixture the left. Machine the right. Fixture the right. Remove the left. Machine the left. The only thing remaining is the part. No holes. No tabs.

1 Like