*GONE* Giant wooden spools (free)

I have 2 huge spools at my church that we no longer need. Free to anyone who wants them :slight_smile: The small one is >6’ tall and about 4’ wide, and the big one is 83" tall and 50" wide (green sided one; probably will require a trailer). I’ll be there tonight till about 9 if anyone wants to come grab either/both. I can help you load, but bring some extra muscle or a winch *(edited as I humorously wrote “wench” the first time).
edit forgot to add the address/contact info.
7540 LBJ Fwy 75251
My cell: Matt Armstrong 936 - 524 - 4451

2 Likes

I suspect you meant, “bring a winch”, although “Bring a wench” (to a church) is certainly more entertaining. (meant in good humor - hope you’re not offended).

:laughing:

2 Likes

Hmmmmm… http://www.rocketreviews.com/54mm-spool-rocket-takes-flight-on-the-aerotech-i161w-3015.html

haha! Definitely not offended :slight_smile: Pretty sure Jesus hung out with swindlers and prostitutes and chastised the clergy :slight_smile:

A winch would probably be more helpful in loading the spool :slight_smile:

2 Likes

please make this happen. I’ll buy the beer.

I am curious …what would you do with the spools?

I know someone who had a large elm tree cut down years ago. Nearly a 3 foot diameter trunk. They had the stump cut to table height, and lag screwed a large cable spool to it as a table top in the middle of their patio. With some paint, the spool end lasted about 10 years, and by that time the stump was a lot softer to chop out.

@tom @kbraby has the general idea :slight_smile: I’ve seen a couple ppl use the ends as outdoor tables, you just have to do your due diligence to hammer the nails flat :fearful:
I’ve been tempted to put the time into disassembling/cleaning up one and using the lumber for some cool furniture. Sadly, no time to tackle that project.

I’ve seen them made into tables, bars, book cases, chairs, etc.
I was just curious

You pay for the fuel and assist and I’ll bring my truck and car trailer (with a heavy duty winch) to transport them to the DMS.

We would have to work out a time - evenings at 7pm or during the day on a Sun or Mon

If we get them up there, do you want them, or are you just thinking someone at DMS would want them if they were already there? I’d hate to get them up there and end up contributing to clutter

Please do not bring them to DMS without someone willing to take them immediately.

2 Likes

I have no need for them and no place to let them camp out.

No real place for them at the Space either - they make for a large footprint, and there isn’t much “spare space” as it is now.

That’s what I was thinking. I’ll see what the good ol’ free craigslist page yields

you might try
www.freecycle.org

1 Like

How tall is the spool? That is, how tall of a table would it be? Coffee table height or something different?

When pulling in to the parking lot today I noticed there are a dozen or so spools i would think are similar in the lot behind. To the northeast, between Tally Com and the next bldg. Maybe you could just drop your spools off for a play date? :smile:
But seriously, i wonder if people could look at those to see what they’d be dealing with on terms of size and such. …

I’m not sure what kind of wood the spools are made of, likely pine. But if they are made of hardwood we could salvage for some table tops.

They’d make a ginormous coffee table… Over 6’ diameter, and 50+" wide.

Not sure what material they’re made out of (still learning to ID wood types), but I’ll be in my shop all day Mon (7a-6p) if anyone wants to swing by. I won’t be there this Sunday, but I can connect you with another guy from my team if you wanted to check them out between services this Sunday.

The wood is most likely Ponderosa Pine.