Gold plating a antique replica

Hello I have a technical question that couldn’t be answered during the tour I took when I visited DMS, I was told we are not allowed to work on gun parts unless its the grip of the gun. BUT I have a antique replica of a 1847 colt walker and according to Texas and the federal government, anything made before 1898 is considered an antique and not a firearm. These antique replicas fall under this law and can even be mailed to your house. So my question is… do I have the green light to bring parts like the barrel and frame to nickel, gold plate and possibly laser engrave?

Here is a link to the current (?) rules:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Firearms.5B4.5D

Make of them what you will. Note this forum is not the ideal place to figure out what is/would be or what isn’t/wouldn’t be allowed, as you will just be getting someone’s opinion rather than an official ruling. I’d suggest emailing the BoD and asking for specific permission or attending the next Board Meeting.

I would second Marshals thoughts on discussion with the Board/D&O.

I would have concerns that others may see you doing it, then those people bringing firearms in because they saw you doing it. So they think it’s ok to do so.

Is this a replica of something made before 1898 or was it itself made before 1898? Just curious but it’s probably a distinction without a difference in the context of DMS rules. As the rules state, DMS defines “firearm” more loosely than the law does.

The reason it can be mailed is likely that it’s a black powder replica, not because of its age.

You want a very, very unambiguous approval from the board before working on that at DMS. Don’t rely on approval from a committee chair, not that I think any would unilaterally try to authorize something like that.

1 Like

Where would i be able to get their email?

PM sent with it

1 Like