Glowing resin rings

@Edenblue

I need you to figure out how to do this and then teach me :smiley: :heart_eyes::wink:

Credit: https://www.mysecretwoods.com/products/glo-ring-collection?variant=21860001775697&fbclid=IwAR2E5VuqArG9Cs7o6AodjXbmMyeBc97r6GvRXVFhGrKMPV-lIaw-m119F4A

1 Like

I would imagine these are cut from solid blocks of resin/glow powder. Similar to how wood rings can be made of you aren’t doing bentwood

These are actually just resin and glow powder, likely molded in a textured mold.

For the cost of mold making materials it would probably be less expensive to buy direct but if not would involve making a blank on the lathe, then creating a mold and then casting.

Ok, I blame you @Sarah_Hustwit. I just ordered 12 colors of glow powder from Amazon. Those are very cool. I need to take some resin classes now.

5 Likes

If you can wait a few weeks, there are cheap ring molds on AliExpress. I’m going to order some after reading this. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I just wanted to pipe in here since this kind of request seems to be an ever increasing tactic at DMS. At the very least, I personally get this on a weekly basis. I realize some folks may be saying this in a tongue-in-cheek manner (specifically referring to this post), but for those who aren’t; it is absolutely not okay to expect a volunteer instructor to learn some thing just to teach you.

If you have an interest in making something there are a few appropriate ways to go about it. You can follow the same process we did and spend time watching tutorials/youtube, reading blogs, and practicing a thing until its perfected. Or you could politely touch base with a subject matter expert and ask them if they could point you to that information; see if they might help with pointers as you are discovering the process; and maybe even ask if they are interested in a collaboration. However expecting someone to spend 5-10 hours of their own time just to accommodate your own desire to make a single thing is not the best path. In most cases it has the opposite effect and makes me never want to try a thing, regardless of how cool it is.

This is Dallas Makerspace, not Dallas Teachmestuffspace.

Sorry to hijack this thread, please return to your previously scheduled program about molded resin rings.

6 Likes

We have some ring molds avail for use, I don’t know what size they are but from experience they may run small.

2 Likes

Or buy the ring molds for like $10, flip them inside out and take a dremel to etch the patern.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ring+molds&rh=n%3A2617941011%2Cn%3A12899051&dc&qid=1553549160&rnid=2941120011&ref=sr_nr_n_13

3 Likes

This is why I call you a resin hero.

1 Like

So the silicon molds [that I just ordered smh] would be difficult to etch a design on, yes?
The ones we used in class were kinda floppy.
I guess it’d just take practice to get it right.

Please look up the toxicity of the glow powder BEFORE using them on the lathes.

Nothing like having to have a hazmat team have to scrub the woodshop with tiny toothbrushes.

I don’t believe anyone is talking about using the lathe. We are discussing using molds to make resin rings.

1 Like

Dremel at high speed with a etching bit will eat it away pretty easy. You won’t need to put any pressure on it, just let the bit do the cutting. You can use a pen or pencil to draw the design in but for something like that pictured its probably best to not think about it as you go. It is mean’t to be random which feel unnatural, we inherently try to make patterns.

Since I have been messing around with glow pigments a lot lately a good tip is to mix your pigments together and then put a little bit on a Popsicle stick and add severa drops of CA glue. It will give you an idea of what it will look like in the resin in natural light and how much it glows.

2 Likes

Strontium aluminate glow powder, the current standard, is listed as non-toxic. Which kind are you referring to? I’m legit curious so I can avoid it.

1 Like

That is a great idea! Thanks for the Pro Tip!

you don’t break open the vials of Tritium and sprinkle it in? :smile:

The other common (and brightest AFAIK) is Europium Sulfate but that is non toxic too.

Rule of thumb, just look for phosphorescent pigments for makeup/soap and you are guaranteed its nontoxic.

3 Likes

Think of th Hazmat teams though, they need work too! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Just remember you will be cutting into silicon (like a rubber) a design that will sit on the outside of the ring. The outer ring will no longer be smooth. If you’re wanting it recessed in ring, you’ll need to cast 1 ring, then etch on that, and remold to make copies.

Alternatively you can design a ring in fusion and 3D print it. I use to do that with the resin printer.

Unless it comes from China. Then You are guaranteed it contains lead.

1 Like

Speaking of glow powder, @Lordrook, my order came in. I can replenish the glow powder you loaned me now.

They tossed in samples of three others colors as well!

1 Like