Glaze Recipe/Possible Class Tie In Discussion

I got nothing for you Amanda, Stop suggesting how I use my time or do things almost every time that I post. I would seriously appreciate it.

Seems like you like to question others (and put others on the spot) but don’t like to be questioned or put on the spot. No one has to have experience mixing a glaze in order to do it. How was that question contributing to the discussion??
Dms is a learning space. Let’s all be excellent to one another.

I’ve only ever mixed a glaze in a group classroom setting and at this point, it was almost a decade ago. In the studio I learned in, all of our glazing was fully dipped and we had a series of low shelves with buckets that were maintained by one teacher who would walk us through mixing whenever he would add a color. So minimal formal training but that said, I may be a bit cocky here but how hard can it be? Clear gloss is pretty basic iirc.

Buy Ingredients
Mask Up
Clean & Zero Scale
Weigh Ingredients to Recipe
Add to Water
Mix/Strain
Measure Gravity
Label and Store

4 Likes

I’ll be there middayish Saturday if that works but totally flexible to whenever you’ll be there.

1 Like

Safety questions are VALID. And you can stop with your annoying “putting me on the spot” replys EVERY TIME I POST. I consider it harassment.

Thanks for the info Ross. If you have this class please consider holding it outside since some of the fine partials can float in the air for hours.

1 Like

Here is a list of links to the MSDS for the ingredients in your glaze recipe above. Every art school and manufacture in America is required to have these, so they should not be hard to find online. If you are mixing any glazes do yourself a favor and look up the MSDS so you know what you are dealing with. In fact any time you are doing anything in art with a new to you material look up the MSDS.

Silica

https://louisville.edu/micronano/files/documents/safety-data-sheets-sds/silica/

EPK -

Zircopax -

Frit 3134

Wallastonite

http://www.fibertecinc.com/index_htm_files/SDS%20Wollastonite.pdf

Custer Feldspar

5 Likes

Just to be clear the “you” I am employing here is the :“Everybody You” not an attack on @AvalancheOfFox

5 Likes

Yes, thank you.
Good info.

1 Like

Please consider consulting with the board on this. I know quite a few committees ban things that are harmful and you cannot contain. I know when sanding bisque, there is a cloud of dust that does not settle, and i am sure it would be the same with powder form of glaze. Even with masks on. It probably should be done outside if anything?

1 Like

True April, we voted sanding was ok, on the other side at the trash can, that was away from everyone. This is no longer the case and should be reconsidered.

Have you seen the dust all over 104, ceramics committee area, or the sink in 104?

Now add dangerous Chems to those scenarios :rofl:

I would advise ALL glaze mixing done outside. @cmcooper0 did alsum with her class. We all wore our own respirators outside. Was premixed by Conner tho.

Colors have all the super fun stuff. :radioactive:

I

5 Likes

We should look into getting a vented sanding booth, or sand outside. As far as glazes, no toxic chemicals can go into the drain even outside, so having Trinity/Conor mix would make sense to me. The discussion was for having a clear glaze in-house if I understood the original ask correctly.

2 Likes

True, safety concerns are absolutely valid.

2 Likes

We teach in 100 that sanding bisque must be done outside and we agreed in the past that this kind of glaze mixing must also be done outside and with respirators.

2 Likes

While it’s true we need to work together, please study the following links.

There is also the environment to be concerned about (not just personal safety).

1 Like

Next steps, sounds like Jacob and Ross could get together and develop a good clear glaze (safely off course). And keep the receipts to get reimbursed for the ingredients.

1 Like

Could be a class if you require the students to wear respirators.

Having Trinity mix makes sense to me also in a community environment. Some of the ingredients in clear glaze are hazardous, for example silica.