GlassWorks update / Committee meeting - April 2019

GOOD NEWS!

I have been advised that GlassWorks will have space within 2-3 weeks. I am holding off on scheduling our Committee meeting until I have more info.

We will will not be 100% functional, and will need to work with what we are given until other expansion phases come into place.

We will temporarily have a power issue. At this time we have 3 plugs along the wall. Stan is working on getting us more power. Our equipment table will have to be moved to a temporary place to access the power and later moved.

Besides the power issue, we may not be able get all the kilns up and running. Without ventilation, with warm days around the corner this is a large concern. I do hope to get some of them up and running. We will discuss this more at the meeting.

We will need volunteers to get our stuff out of storage, put together cabinets and tool carts, and move things from one building to the other.

Also, Kris Anderson would like to move the large metal kiln in the metal shop to the Glass Dept. We will weigh the pros and cons then take a vote at the next meeting.

As soon as I have a date I will scheduled a meeting.

Thank you,
Anita Willis

6 Likes

The powder coating kiln?

1 Like

I’m thinking they mean the top-loader with the bomb-shaped counter weight on the door, currently stored with the sheet metal tools (shear, brake, and slip roller)…

1 Like

@hon1nbo just bringing this to your attention to make sure you’re in the loop.

2 Likes

Probably the smaller one with the dummy bomb counter weight.

I look forward to getting glassworks going, working from home isn’t as productive for me.
Trying to get this finished

4 Likes

Good evening all. Speaking of glass working, do we have glass scoring tools? I am wanting to make a custom picture frame. If not, they look cheap enough to buy.

We have a few hand tools and a straight edge system with a grid that helps make big cuts. It was in the ceramics cabinet nearest the electrical/breaker closet last I saw it.

Thanks. I will look when I’m there later this week.

no, there is another kiln in there they use to anneal metal with its a square box about 3 ft tall by 4 ft ish wide. we have a lot to discuss on this so please join out meeting when it is booked.

That is beautiful! would you be interested in teaching Stained Glass for us?
Jen is an awesome teacher, I think her classes will be full once they get back on the calendar. More stained glass teachers would be great.
Please join us at our next meeting. Being a new committee in a new space, we have a lot things we will be voting on in upcoming meetings, and a lot of kinks to work out. I try to keep our dept a Committee driven Dept. so voting on things will be often.

1 Like

We keep the cutting tools, glue, scissors, goggles, in the microwave cabinet in the interactive room. A Morton board and 2 circle cutters are in the the cabinet in ceramics.
The glass equipment requires the glass 101 class before it can be used. Once we get the equipment into the new space classed will go on the calendar. Loading and unloading all the saws. grinders has been to tough on my back.

Once we get into our new space we have a table top cutting system that we will need a table built for it. Anyone want to volunteer for that?

We also have a wall mounted glass cutter currently stored in small print room.
I have have been stashing things all over the building for the last year.

3 Likes

@meanbaby
I volunteer as tribute. I’m at the space just about every day so keep me in the loop on when/where you need help. No glass tools in my personal stash to donate, unfortunately, but I’m willing to put some hours in to make the move quicker. Will be watching the calendar for that meeting.

3 Likes

Thank you @LAndras, we have big plans and will need all the help we can get to put them in place.

1 Like

That’s great to hear! Excited to see the glass working committee getting space and tool, I can’t wait to give stain glass a try one of these days

On the kiln in metal shop I think it’s totally within rights for Kris to ask it be moved to glass working as she has loaned it.
I would really appreciate it if glass works would still allow Blacksmithing to use it to do heat treating and annealing, with proper training of course! I just wanted to see if y’all would allow it or at least consider it at your meeting, thanks!

3 Likes

Hello Ethan,

I will look forward to seeing you in the new glass Dept! We have some pros and cons on the kiln being moved to GlassWorks. This is why all the info will be evaluated and a vote taken before any plans are made.

Please join join our meeting once I get it scheduled. Everyones input will be appreciated.

2 Likes

Are you saying that there won’t be any glass 101 classes until we get into the new space?

I appreciate the offer to teach, but I don’t know how much I have to offer, I’m just flying this creative kick by the seat of my pants.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m sorry

If I bring my own tools, would it be ok? I’m 100% sure that I know 50% of what not to do 25% of the time. I don’t want to commit any infraction but I also don’t want to wait several months of i can help it.

You are welcome to bring your own tools, we have some in the microwave cabinet in the interactive room. There is a dust buster also there, and a vacuum in the utility closet. Please make sure your area is clear of glass shards when you are done.

The equipment is what requires training we have a bandsaw, ring daw, wire saw, grinders for cold working the glass.