Glass slumping question

Theoretical question. Can one piece of glass be slumped over another piece of glass, if the workpiece is a very thin piece and the “mold” is a piece of thick glass?

Hmm. In theory, that should work. I’d ramp up pretty slow in the beginning. You’d still want the base piece to be thoroughly heated to prevent thermal shock cracking. I’d probably go up to the 1250 slump temp. Maybe shorten up the hold at 1250F? So that only the top piece slumps.

I keep thinking about trying to use the alarm, but I don’t think you can reset the program. Maybe start with a short hold, and recook if it doesn’t slump enough?

*edit – You do want them fused, right?

No, no fusing required. Plain glass. Thinking about a round window … (i.e., a rectangular window curved on a “round” wall).

Chalk makes a decent mold for non-fusing molding. Or, I have the 1in Thick Fiber DuraBlanket from Delphi. I have yet to try it, but I bought it to make my own small molds. If 1" is thicker than you were thinking, we might be able to slice it.

Or a clay piece. While clay also has thermal shock issues, it stands up to a much bigger range than glass.

1 Like