Glass fused class?

A generic face for pendents would be nice,
Cab shapes for setting would be good

Is there any local place to buy some dicloric glass for fusing?
I have a crazy love affair with it, I always want more of it

1 Like

It depends on the specific form. Sometimes you need to drill some holes in your form to make sure you get the plastic sheet sucked down into interior cavities.

Most dedicated stained glass shops carry dichroic. The one nearest me (down by vista ridge) also has a discount drawer of scraps you can buy by weight. Itā€™s a guess occasionally on what youā€™ll get since unfired/fired dichroic can change appearance dramatically. I think many stores that teach have scrap bins that sell by weight.

Iā€™m fine with the serendipity usually, unless specific project, since I do pretty small pieces for jewelry cabs. Just need scraps, and a sheet of clear and a sheet of black and you can do anything jewelry-sized in lots of variations.

Important, be very aware of which COE glass youā€™re getting if buying multiple places. You canā€™t mix/layer them or itā€™ll can cause the piece to be fragile because of different internal stresses because of the different coefficients of expansion. Always lable stuff.

1 Like

Yeah. John K says that thereā€™s two major places to buy glass, and they each stock different coefficients of glass. So you couldnā€™t mix glass from the two different places. And, I donā€™t think heā€™s aware of the shop by you, as I think he said thereā€™s one in Richardson, and one in Ft Worth. Unfortunately, heā€™s processed them so he just knows how to get there, and doesnā€™t remember the names.

1 Like

Yeah I go blank names except for kitrell-riffkind. The one Iā€™ve been to is at 635/tollway area. Looks like they opened second location who knows when over in Richardson. There is/was (been awhile) a shop in The Colony on Main Street next to a metaphysical shop (same lady). Then the place down at vista ridge I can never remember name, then the place in Fort Worth that supposed to be good. So like roughly four good sized dedicated stained glass in this area. And thereā€™s always online, but better to shop local and support these stores if you can.

1 Like

Art Glass Center
5.0 (2) Ā· Stained Glass Studio
Vista Ridge Plaza
Lewisville, TX
(214) 488-9412
Opens at 10:00 AM
Stained Glass Unlimited
5.0 (4) Ā· Stained Glass Studio
The Colony, TX
(972) 625-3416

1 Like

Very aware of keeping COE the same. We will go over all the above during classes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Right. Was positive you knew the COE stuff, just throwing that out if someone got dichro or other fusing glass ahead of things since we got into sources discussion. Figured cairenn likely knew too, but ya never know who else reads. (Not that Iā€™ve ever personally dove headfirst into anything new. Ahem.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

7332 Main Street
The Colony, TX 75056

Good news if you want to go here, and itā€™s been a while since you have driven to anything on Main Street in the The Colony due to the Main Street reconstruction!
Itā€™s (mostly) done!
You can actually get to this section of Main Street fairly easily now.

2 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s her! Nice owner.

For jewelry folks, has the metaphysical shop (Lightworkers if I recall, closed Mondays I think) connected to it, nice selection of interesting rocks that arent the usual suspects that I like to check for interesting ones making jewelry with. Retail prices but worth it for cool find. Iā€™ve found metaphysical shops tend to have more raw form stones and unusual varieties, all good for the wire jewelry style I like to do

1 Like