Glass fused class?

Can this done at makerspace? Does anyone teach this? I am interested in learning. Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Yeah it had been done a few times. Not sure who teaches a class, but @Kriskat30 has done it

+1, I would also be interested in a fused glass class.

@uglyknees has also taught it … but I believe she fused it offsite.

1 Like

It can be taught. The main issue with teaching it at the space is where to do it since there are limited people who have permission to fire in the kilns. Otherwise I’d be happy to do some in a month or two once work evens out. (Back to school is cray cray)

1 Like

I’m planning on teaching classes soon. Looking to make some molds first so we can have a few basics to use. Give me a couple of weeks and I should be ready to post classes.

7 Likes

Throughly do-able. I am more than happy to coordinate kiln firing with you.

I know that John K has done a class or two in the past. I’m not sure what he used for molds (the pieces look barely slumped). But…

2 Likes

I have some wine bottle molds already done. Let me know if you do it. We can coordinate a follow up on how to make molds!

1 Like

High fire with lots if kiln wash. Although now you’re making me want to do a kiln carving class!

Would that be to make molds? If so I’m interested…

Kris @Kriskat30 is going to make some molds. You should talk to her about some different bits. I told her we could fit at least 9 8" things in the big kiln, but probably I can do more. The slumping molds aren’t very tall.

That candle-holder slump mold you were looking at looks to be handmade to me. The top wasn’t perfectly smooth…

1 Like

Working on molds!!!

9 Likes

They look awesome!!!

2 Likes

I do not know anything about these.

What are they made of?

Will they have an additional use when the shiny new vacuformer gets here?

Probably. So far as I know, anything works as a mold for the vacuformer. It’s not nearly as picky as slumping glass.

1 Like

We could but it’d be more lecture because your biggest concern is undercuts and I haven’t found a hands on way to teach that. Personally I really enjoy using firing blanket/paper

1 Like

A lecture would be fine. Actually though, I’m googling it and I might play with it in my own kiln with firing paper.

2 Likes

Update with molds: I have cast 8 molds so far and I’m about to do some 3d prints of geometric shapes and mold them. I’m also going to cast some pendant shapes so we can make glass jewelry. If anyone has an idea for a mold to create let me know. I’m trying to fill up the big kiln for a special firing for these so I can get the classes going. The glass kiln cannot use a mold over 8 inches in diameter so keep that in mind.

1 Like

Round sun medallions would be cool. Something a little less pedestrian for the face would be nice. Always wanted to make a multi-color one.

2 Likes

I’ll throw out some with absolutely NO IDEA how wieldy they’ll be, or feasible they are.
Pecan leaf (cluster) {Texas state tree}

Oak leaf {National tree of the USA}

State of Texas shape (it seems popular in these parts)

Texas “stars” (seem to be popular in these parts)

Although this does not fit with your theme, it seems popular:
Punisher skull

And the always a hit: Smiley face

2 Likes