Glass cutting basics

Hey everyone,

I’m working on a display cabinet for my mom and need to cut a few pieces of glass to fit in the doors. The pieces aren’t very thick (about 0.1”). Is there anyone who could give me some tips? Also, do we have cutters at the space?

Thanks,

Matthew

1 Like

Yes and yes. @Vincent is the best at it. Others can show you how but your results might vary. @Christykaake has also done a lot of glass. Depends on availability of folks. If it’s just single pane Home Depot “float glass” it shouldn’t be an issue.

That’s for the input @Mrholthaus. It is in fact the Home Depot glass. @Vincent are you around any this week? Would you be willing to give me some pointers?

What size are the pieces you need? While we have cutters, our mats aren’t particularly big.

It’s 36” long x 18” wide. I need to cut about 4-5” off the width and maybe 1” off the length. Is this feasible with the tools and mats we have?

If you have a piece of scrap at least 4” wide and 7” long I’ll buy it from you. My buddy needs a piece that size to restore an old cigar ashtray.

1 Like

If I can manage to cut these sheets cleanly, I’ll gladly donate it to you! @mdredmond

Cool! Thanks a bunch.

Redmond, if you want to swing by my shop you can have several 4"×7" pieces of glass!

Well I ended up finding myself at Lowe’s where they will actually cut the glass to size for free. Didn’t even know that service was offered there.

3 Likes

I have glass destined Beth at Makerspace - and more after that, 4"x7" is not a problem. It is mostly 2.5mm plain clear glass.

1 Like

Where is your shop?

Tom has donated a patootie-load of clear window glass to Glassworks. There should be a box under either the light table, or the table next to it with my name on it. Feel free to help yourself.

1 Like

Argyle Texas.
Near FM 407 & FM 1830

Ah fairly close to me. I’m in Denton.

308 FM 1830 / 8A is the address.
Texas Business Park.