Giant robot playtime

Hey so im andrew the guy who supposedly leads the rx-60 robot work sessions…the rx-60 is on hold till we can build some servo drives or get our controller fixed…in the meantime i have a 1980s era 8 ft tall p-150 fanuc paint robot that i was thinking of bringing to the space this sunday…it doesnt work so far as i can tell…i havent been able to get it to do anything but @Draco and i were thinking i could bring it in for us to tinker with…i have an autocrane to move it and it would take up a cars worth of space in the auto area…before i bring in 2000 lbs of robot i thought id run it by yall… it would only be there a day and then id take it home …axis 1 2 AND 3 WOULD DEFINITELY be completely disconnected for safety reasons as waist shoulder and elbow of a 1200 lb unanchored robot suddenly springing to life (if we happened to be so lucky to get it to do anything) could be deadly destructive …also how wide and tall is the door? Soooooo anybody down to tinker? Anybody wildly opposed?

2 Likes

4 Likes

Theres also a controller in case you were like …what do we do with a 6 axis gearbox full of high voltage motors requiring complex commutation …

1 Like

How many pounds do you think it could lift if it was working fully and firmly attached?

Lol uhmmmm…its payload is 4 kilos BUT one has to consider that is at full speed and at maximum reach which is about 8 ft…soooo i really dont know its a very robust piece of equipment though so it could perhaps do quite a bit more at lower speed and not fully extended …it really just remains to be seen …im far from an authority on the subject …i just read alot touch this wire to that wire and when most kids would buy an xbox i take that money and buy a robot on the hopes that one day…just one day…it shall do my bidding …

@Doclove and @Kirby_Dang you guess have so experience with Fanuc bots…any thoughts? I have the manuals and the drives respond to error signals …the pendant powers up…most lights on most boards claim normalcy…i just think it might have no firmware but i have a 5.25 inch floppy with the firmware SUPPoSEDLY on it

@TLAR … is this your call since he’s proposing to use it in Automotive?

Actually, I was told that the space behind automotive could be used. The space where the south loading dock is. I was also told there was a higher voltage outlet there.

It’s not my call. But please make sure it doesn’t block the egress to Machine shop.

2 Likes

Of course…thankyou for your feedback.

@Draco you know where to find a 5.25 inch floppy reader?

@andrewboerder what at is displayed when the unit teach pendent powers up? (if anything) and is there an F number located on the unit? if so I can contact Fanuc and ask if they might have the firmware on a more modern format. I could also stop by one day and take a look at it before its brought to the space if that would help with an evaluation.

The Doc.

I thought this would be about a working Gundam or something. :smiley:

Teach pendant displays teach pendant ready…main monitor shows nothing …the power on light turns on but that is only with the safety board completely bypassed…ive attempted to talk to fanuc before but they wont tell me nothing without liscensing it…i doubt they do have a never software version it was built 1985 …also it was built by GMFanuc AKA GMF robotics. fanuc changed hands several years ago so i cant imagine the RH KAREL controller is anything but waaayyy past its EOL date. I figured the best option ither than our present plan for universal stmbl linux cnc controller construction would be hijacking its servo drives BUT i believe the drives only handle signal amplification and that the actual commutation…abs pos control occurs in the axis control board which also ties into the basic control unit… the drives appear to be driven by 6 channel pwm inputs generated in afformentioned locations…im just aboujt to give up on the controller but i figured id bring it to the space as a last ditch effort to see if we can get ANYWHERE… if were left scratching our heads ima gut the SOB and put stmbls in it… ill gert you the controllers F-number soon as i get home tonight. Thanks

I mean thats the eventual goal duh…i remember as a child thinking…“i wanna learn to work in metal because i wanna build giant robots” im working on it.

How many pounds do you think it could lift if it was working fully and firmly attached?

Nah… I’m wondering how fast it can swing a katana…

1 Like

A VF-1 would be nice.

I definitely cite gundam as one of my great inspirations…the o.g. giant robots…

I have two 5.25 drives that worked when I took them out of their cabinet. Let me know where and when and I’ll bring them to DMS.

Russell Ward

Sorry about that Ferman. :smile:

1 Like

Darn, I was hoping you meant giant robots.
No such luck. :smiley:

1 Like