Getting started

Hi!

I’m a new member and am also a professor wanting to take advantage of the winter break. (During the semester, I’m really only able to work on weekends…) I’m interested in lamp working, the kilns, microwaves, and stained glass area!

I know each area has different safety training/rules and I wanted to know what the best way for my to get started is. I noticed there aren’t any classes for glass right now, but I have some prior experience:

I apprenticed at a stained glass studio in Denton before it closed/so it in my free time, have done some slumping in ceramics kilns before, and taken one lamp working workshop before!

Any guidance is appreciated :slight_smile:

Diana

I usually teach fusing in the microwaves and the kilns. I could do a microwave class next Wednesday 12/27? Usually on Wednesdays I start at 7pm. Would that work for you? And we could talk about what experience you have fusing/slumping glass.

@msmurray411 (I think) is the one who’s usually teaching lampworking. She’ll probably get back to classes after the holidays. @Mrholthaus may have been teaching some – he’s been working on lampworking with borosilicate.

2 Likes

Hi Diana,
Unfortunately, I will be out of town for the next few weeks so won’t be able to help you during the winter break, but I typically do all of the lamp working classes on Sundays, so hopefully those will work with your schedule. I should be back to them by mid January. I will let you know when I am able to put them on the calendar.:blush:

4 Likes

Hi! Yes, next Wednesday at 7 would be perfect! Should I bring anything specific?

A dollar or two to pay for glass. Safety glasses if you have them, although we’ve got a drawer of them if you don’t.

Thanks! I’ll see you then :slight_smile:

Hi Diana,

I would be more than willing to help you with lampworking but I was sick last week and out of town this coming one. I will be back in town on Jan 1st. I am not sure when you are done with winter break but I would be happy to meet any day after that. I hope Rachael can show you what we have been up to with the setup. I bought most of the brass fittings for the setup you see at McMaster Carr. They are by far the cheapest for some reason. Any old oxyacetylene hose works. Am acetylene pressure regulator is the one I used for the propane. Ask Rachael for my phone # and I can give you more info.

Thanks,
Max

Thanks Max! I’ll ask Rachel for it Preformatted text

I’m going to have to cancel the class. My Christmas surprise was the City of Carrollton condemning the building I was living in. Tonight we’re unloading the U-Haul… So – Thursday? Or next Wednesday?

Hey!!! I’m so sorry to hear that! I hope everything works out okay! Next Wednesday at the same time works for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

See you tonight!

1 Like