Getting Started in Glass

Hi everyone! I’m a relatively new member and I’d really like to get working in glass. Where do I start? Thank you!

What do you want to do in glass?

1 Like

Keep an eye on the Calendar for some classes. Otherwise, stop by their next committee meeting this upcoming Wednesday evening and say hi.

Hi! I’d like to slump and sculpt with glass. I’m not really sure what else there is to do but I think I want to start there.

Thanks! I’m keeping an eye on it and will continue to do so. I’ll try to make it Wednesday.

1 Like

Sculpt with glass? Like lampworking?

Yes! Had to look it up, but yes.
I just want to jump into glass. It’s one of the things I haven’t been able to get my hands on yet so I’m not entirely sure what all is out there, but from what I saw on a search, yes, lampworking.
I’d also like to work with glass blowing but I don’t think we have that capability at DMS.

No, and we’re not likely to ever have glass blowing. If you want to do that, there are a couple of the glass studios that teach glass blowing, and they aren’t horribly expensive. @meanbaby took a class at one of them and was very pleased.

1 Like

Hi, sorry I don’t get on talk much, there is a glass shop in Grapevine that has bleachers so you can sit and watch the artist make. Then they have random project classes that simple and fun.

That’s okay, I still want to learn lampworking and slumping.
Thanks for the pointer! I’ll talk with them below.

Hi! That’s okay.
Oh, Grapevine is much closer to me than DMS so that is interesting. What were they called, I’ll look em up!

My guess is @meanbaby is referring to Vetro, but I could be incorrect.

Glassworks meeting tonight at 7 pm. Always recommended for anybody interested in glass.

1 Like

If you are looking for a glass lamp work class. I highly recommend going to Brandon at Corporate Image Group. I really enjoyed the class. He is informative and knowledgeable and goes over not just the how to but the why to do things a certain way.

To sign up just call him at 512.680.0759. You can find Groupons ( Three-Hour Introduction to Glass Blowing Class for One or Two at Corporate Image Group GSG (Up to 51% Off) ) for him but Groupon takes 50% of the coupon sale so best to call him in person to schedule.

Hello! So the space doesn’t offer lampworking right now. However, I believe his name was James showed me how to do beads with glass and MAP gas at the space. I took a glass blowing class a few months back and if you are interested I can give you the details. If I remember correctly the shop is decently close to the DMS

@mrjimmy still does a few 1-on-1’s, but his schedule is too crazy to put classes on the schedule. Plus, most of our classes are pretty basic.

1 Like

I’ll be on vacation after the 13th so I can teach a few 1 on 1s before the end of the year.

6 Likes