Getting Checked out on Laser Cutter and CNC router

New member here, I have signed up tour to get my fob and for a woodworking basics class to get checked out in the wood shop. What is the process for getting approved to use the CNC Router and Laser Cutters? I have a lot of experience using a Shopbot and own a Shapeoko XXL that I use when I need to do smaller stuff. I have also used Lasercutters a fair amount but again want to follow whatever process yall have of onboarding people to use the equipment.

We do not have a formal process right now. I’ve been essentially mentoring to get people certified.

There is a good overview here. Material from the class is here (that link is from this section on the wiki page). Understanding that material is a great place to start.

You are expected to provide a VCarve project. It should include a tool change. In the past we expected people to pocket, outline, and V-carve. The projects were often just that: three toolpaths. I’ve been encouraging people to make something. For example, @rlisbona made a mold for LED lighting and @matt_b made a rather nice sign.

If you can safely and correctly run your project then you’ll be certified.

A great way to learn to use the machine is to participate when maintenance is performed. It’s an opportunity to practice, ask questions, and learn how to keep the machine running. I usually put announcements here.

The woodshop has safety rules which are taught in woodshop classes. Knowing those rules is required.

4 Likes

I’m also new and wanting to attain certification. I’ll read through the class materials posted above. Thank you, Patrick

1 Like