Geiger Counter Build

My forum skills may be one of the ineptitude I mentioned in my last post. :smile:

Anyway, Iā€™m happy to see several replies since my glorified bump post. Iā€™ll try to be more active.

Power supply regulation : I think I have this sussed, using an actively-controlled supply intended for flashlamps. I do, however, need to choose a couple of components carefully, as the voltage I am looking at is different from that for the components recommended in the datasheet.

ā€œElectronic Digital Slide Ruleā€ article : Got a copy thanks to my librarian sister, although it took a while.

I had a bunch of things happen, including suddenly needing to drive a relative to Houston for a medical appointment (train service canā€™t get here soon enough), but things are looking up. There should be no problem using the 4527 CMOS BCD rate multiplier for the logic section, so I donā€™t need to worry about the power requirements of a TTL chip there. 5V CMOS should be just fine. A copy of Don Lancasterā€™s CMOS Cookbook should be helpful (I have a PDF of the TTL Cookbook)ā€¦ looks like the Fort Worth library has it, so Iā€™ll pick it up when I head downtown to get my mail. That will probably be tomorrow, because USPS decided to route my Priority 2-Day package from Massachusetts via Anaheim, Californiaā€¦

Glad to see there is still some traction. Sadly, I have no extra cycles to help you get to where you need to be, but I anxiously await burning a few cycles when ready to build. :slight_smile:

If you follow the following link through about four more links, you will eventually find some schematics for a Geiger counter kit:

http://www.electroschematics.com/12225/diy-geiger-counter/

I canā€™t claim that this information would necessarily be useful for the current project or not.