Geiger Counter Build

Owing to multiple requests from people who discovered a schedule conflict (something I was trying hard to avoid), plus some mis-steps on my part, it appears I am going to have to partially defer this project. I will present the theory portion this Saturday as scheduled, and then we will pick up the construction portion later on — perhaps on a catch-as-catch-can basis, depending what times people have available.

I will likely be available a few afternoons per week after 6:30pm and some on the weekends. No big deal on the reschedule. See you on Saturday for the theory portion…

– Shawn

I would love to see this offered again. Unfortunately, I’m doing both mill trainings this Saturday, so couldn’t make it this time.

A Geiger counter for kids!

Here is the “theory” portion of the Geiger Counter Build class.
I regret to report that the “practical” portion remains delayed, in large part owing to the non-payment to me of the monies collected through Eventbrite for materials fees. I suppose I’m a silly goose for assuming that, since this option was included in the policy documents et cetera, someone on our Board would know what to do!

Have you been able to get the payment issue sorted out? Any update to the eta for the practical build class?

I have received payment for the EventBrite registrations. Between the holidays, & a big new project which has found its way to me, I haven’t been able to devote a lot of time the past couple of weeks to this, but it is certainly not abandoned!

I would be interested in the practical build, if offered.

It’s coming, I assure you. I just have to work out some of the details. I may end up calling upon some of the folks who’ve already signed up to help me with that.

So, @oyetkin suggested, which I should have thought of, that there be an output connector for the raw impulses as they come from the tube (buffered, of course).
Naturally, my mind immediately went to “3.5 mm mono phone jack”. Does anybody have a counterargument for some other connector? Also, TTL levels (5 V nominal), or is 3 V sufficient?

I suppose either one would work with a speaker or headphones.

Some more questions for those interested :

I’ve been choosing & pricing parts on Digikey. Is that a good choice, in terms of selection & price, or would I be better served to go with Mouser, or another supplier? I really want to get everything from one source, if possible.

For the calculating & display parts of the mechanism, I am considering going with 5V components, ie, TTL or TTL-level CMOS. This is going to impose certain limits on battery life (a single 9V), even with a high-efficiency switch-mode supply. What would you consider acceptable?

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the article entitled “An Electronic Digital Slide Rule”, by Schmid and Busch, which appeared in The Electronic Engineer, 1968 July, pp 54-64? This seems to be the classic reference for calculation by rate multiplier.

Perhaps some of their other work would be helpful?

Whatever happened to this build? I attended the lecture and paid the $50, but the build seems to have lost steam?

Hello Scott,

I attended the lecture and paid the $50, but the build seems to have lost steam?

You think?

It is now July 2015, so you ARE a patient one.

As far as I can tell, Mr. Carson has been inactive since April. If at this point you are dissatisfied, I recommend that you contact him and make some sort of arrangement. In the meantime, MicroCenter sells a Geiger Counter kit with the same Soviet tube for $100.

JAG “Eternal Salvation or Triple Your Money Back” MAN

1 Like

I said at the beginning that I wasn’t going to be able to do this all myself, & would need help on certain parts, such as creating the case (3D modelling) & circuit boards. Unfortunately, I haven’t seemed to be able to command the attention of anyone, even those who have already paid…
In the hope of remedying this situation, I intend to create a Wiki page this week showing what I have done, what I still need to do, & what I need help to do.
In the meantime, it would be at least a little helpful if I could get someone to answer the questions I asked just up the page. It’s hard to move forward without at least some information!

1 Like

While I prefer Mouser since I can receive the order quick (shipped from S of Ft Worth), either supplier is a good choice. That said, in my experience, getting all of the parts from a single supplier is unlikely.

Also most of the geiger counter designs I have seen at the ‘hobby’ level have a fair number of problems with the power supply, which really needs to be regulated. Here is a page with some additional information on the subject which may be useful.

The company that created that article produce some very good, inexpensive geiger counters. I used one for several years as a random number source before it finally failed.

Have you tried UTD’s library. Even if they don’t have a copy, inter library loan should allow them to obtain a copy for research purposes.

Design for whatever conditions you need and ignore a dependency upon a single power source. If you need more battery life then a 9V can supply you can use other batteries, such as LiPo batteries and DC-DC regulators. Don’t let the power supply bog you down. Design, test, and debug with a bench supply such as is available in the Electronics area.

If you need help with the design then I suggest posting a request for help in the Electronics forum.

I have some faith in publius, I guess. I know myself, and many of us, can be brilliant at some things yet inept at other things. My post was really just a glorified “bump” :wink: