Garage for Jeep restoration

Hello! I heard about this place from a friend. Looking to find a space to do some (non mechanical) restoration of my Jeep, mainly paint and such. I understand Dallas Maker Space has space for me to work on it. What’s the facility like? If I can have my own space for a few hours a day I’d definitely join!
Thanks y’all,
AJ

4 Likes

AJ, this may not be a good fit for what you are looking to do. We don’t have a paint booth, and as a CO-OP community workshop there isn’t a guaranteed few hours a day in the automotive bays. Your project would need to be driven home each night as well.

On the plus sides though, as a fellow Jeep owner, having access to the two post lift and tools is a fabulous benefit. I’m working on designing my own bumpers to plasmacut and weld in the metal shop. You should definitely stop by sometime and check out the facility.

7 Likes

JJ, much obliged for the response. Most helpful. Very cool! Mines a ‘95 Wrangler Rio Grande 9” lift and 35” tires. Just bought it. Mechanically in good shape but interior and body in rough shape. I’d love to check out the facility per your suggestion. Do I need to schedule with someone, or just stop by?
AJ

1 Like

We’ve got a fairly diverse smattering of Jeep owners around. Mine’s a mostly stock ‘18 JLU Sahara that @JBluJkt is gonna help me next weekend add some 3/4” lifters.

Since we aren’t doing normal tours with the Pandemic, are you free anytime during the day tomorrow? I can give you a personal tour.

2 Likes

95 is a YJ, you need to be careful of any welding on the panels. YJ’s have a zinc coating on the body panels. We don’t allow any welding on any zinc or galvanized materials.

JJ did you get the Daystar spacers? Or something else?

1 Like

Yes they are daystar spacers we are putting on and filming.

1 Like

Take the track bar off to drop the springs, it makes things so much easier.

2 Likes

Our automotive area is classified as a Minor Repair Facility which limits us to minor repairs, fluid changes, etc. Per our local Fire Marshall we cannot perform an body work or painting in our facility, not even in the parking lot. Body work and painting is limited to a Major Repair Facility per City Building Codes.

5 Likes

i find that going late at night really lets me stretch out and finish what im working on (litearlly 2 am to 7 am)

as far as paint goes, its muich more cost effective to just make your own paint booths with shower curtain liners and box fan filters. make sure the air is almost perfectly dust free and buy a paint gun. you can look up instructions on youtube. amazing how cheap and easy it can be

there are no plans in the future for allowing spray paint. its a whole thing with the city permits :frowning:

2 Likes

Very kind of you! Would love a tour. But no paint allowed? I’m not looking to do body paint; only bed liner and interior trim.

Thanks Brenly! So, no interior painting allowed?
AJ

1 Like

Thanks for feedback Richard. So, no body paint…what about interior? Looking to do bed liner and interior trim.
AJ

DMS does not allow any spray painting at all on the premises. This would include a spray-in bed liner if that is what you were talking about. We do not have the proper industrial ventilation system for such work. This building is in an industrial warehouse area and we must abide by the City’s rules.

The fine for spray painting is $2,000 plus any hazardous material cleanup costs required. This fine is to the individual, not DMS. So please, go somewhere else to do your painting.

4 Likes

As part of our compliance with fire code and city ordinances, no spray painting is permitted, beyond water based airbrush work on small scale items. I dont believe there are restrictions on brush on or roll on finishes.

A commercial spray booth requires paperwork that a volunteer organization simply can’t legitimately generate.

3 Likes

Give Me a heads up on when you wanna stop by and I’ll meet you.

I used MonsterLiner roll on bed-liner on my 2006 LJU interior. worked great, but took a lot of prep work and is SUPER stinky stuff… need a heavy respirator for that kind of stuff, which means it’s a no-go at the 'space. But did it in my driveway under a tarp to keep the sun off of it and it worked great.

2 Likes

Thanks for feedback Kevin. Looks like I’ve gotta find a different place to do my painting :confused:

Thanks Ian I might try that

dallas makerspace has a “do it yourself” ethic. to accomplish something just look it up. here’s a link. i have plans to do this myself in teh near future as my 1999 car has seen better days.

setting up a paint booth

reduce air particles by ductaping a filter to a box fan

2 Likes