Garage air conditioning

So my roommates ( @apexi1100 ) and I want to air condition our 3 car garage. The original plan was to use a portable air conditioner, but the problem were think we’re going to run in to is the air blown over the condenser needs to be exhausted outside, but is sucked from inside. Which means that air from the house will be sucked in to the garage, and we’re trying to avoid that. We had an idea that we could get a window unit and, since we’re renting and can’t cut a hole in the wall, relocate the condenser outside with a fan across it so that outside air stays outside and garage air stays in the garage.

Buuuuut…

We’re not sure that’s a good idea, or if there’s a better way to do it. Anyone got some ideas or input? We just want to not sweat so much in the garage.

I would look at doing a mini split unit.

You can run the leads out of the bottom of the garage door.

5 Likes

This is what ductless mini splits do…

They still require hoses (high pressure, low pressure, condensate drain), and I’d check with your landlord (nothing ■■■■■■ them off faster than cutting holes in their walls and then not repairing them, if necessary, which I know, I know, you’re all totally conscientious renters and would never, ever do, but there’s a reason landlords are such ■■■■■ about stuff).

I’ll second Mini-split, if they can stand that ductless type systems. Abom79 just did a video on the one he installed a few days ago. Mr.Cool wont be the cheapest though.

I personally do not care for the Ductless Mini-splits… but that’s just me. Aesthetics mostly but don’t like the way they distribute the air as opposed to a ducted style central air.

I believe they sell standalone indoor units similar to a spot cooler. I think you might be able to get away with possibly running the tubing under the garage door if you can figure out a way to block it from crushing the line set.

2 Likes

We might be able to get away with a mini split, but we’re also trying avoid spending 800 bucks on ac. I’m not above hacking some janky-@s5 system together.

Take that censor bot…

2 Likes

I love mini splits. Got a number of them. They don’t all have to hang on the wall.

You might be able to get away with mounting a window unit if you’ve got a window. Either way, 800 ain’t that much budget for what you’re thinking IMO.

The original plan was to get a used window unit and cut it up to move the condenser outside. I’m all about cheap for this. Lol

You could buy a window mount, mount it on a rolling cart with a 15’ duct taped to the unit. I’ve seen that done before. It’s ghetto AF and I don’t think it’ll do much for you, but if you can find a really big window AC you might give it a shot. I suppose theoretically you could work up a return air path too. And daisy chain two smaller units.

Ought to make a beautiful photo for a meme.

1 Like

lol, I have a window unit in my garage I was going to turn into a split system. I used to work in my garage all the time but now is very rare. With my kids growing I decided to not spend as much time in the garage & more time with them. I went as far as to buy the ACR tubing & couplings to do the job but as usual it’s another project for the not-done pile.

What about something like a PortaCool evaporative cooler? More like a swamp cooler than a true A/C but they are portable, require no ducting, and do help drop temps while in use.

Cost is about $1.10/sq foot (500 sq foot model is $600, 900 sq foot model is $995)

These are often used for cooling horse barns in the DFW area.

be wary of these for shop and garage use. You can find a large amount of rust on things due to the higher humidity introduced.

1 Like

Are you renting from a private person or a complex? Usually most complexes will rip that stuff out faster than you can put it together (if they find out). I would just go the easy route and get a shop fan or two and work with the door open. I have 3 motorcycles, so I’m in my apt garage quite often. Having my garage door open gets me huge air flow and even scored me a free rolling toolbox from a neighbor. He always saw me out there working and was upgrading his toolbox

Be sure that you have insulation above your garage. Some houses do not.

2 Likes

We’re renting from a private person. If love to ask if we could cut a big hole in the wall, but I’m pretty sure the answer is still a no. Lol.

Can’t hurt to discuss it with them. Done properly adding A/C to a 3 car garage in Texas is a property improvement I’d think. A heat pump would be even better :wink:

1 Like

For not much more in cost you can install a combination Heating and A/C unit. That’s what I did in my 3 car garage, had to cut a hole in the brick wall to install it. With an insulated garage door the heating unit can warm up the garage in Winter enough to take the chill out of the air. In summer the A/C unit makes the temperature comfortable even in 100+ Degree days.

2 Likes

Probably not a bad idea. maybe they’ll be interested in sharing the cost too, maybe not, but who knows, right?

Sam’s Club has a Fathers Day sale on a 3/4 ton Mini Split for $800

2 Likes

If you store anything humidity sensitive in your garage a swamp cooler can make things messy, wood, metals that oxidize quickly in the presence of humidity, etc.

Do you want to cool only? As above, consider a heat pump. And also consider an inverter unit that has a proportional output. They are quite efficient but you will pay extra for the technology.

Any advice on brands? I’m always researching these things.