Galvo Laser Question

Does anyone know of a good source of information on what laser types, strengths, lenses, wavelenghts there are vs the materials they will engrave? I am wanting to build a galvo laser engraver with a 2 to 4 foot focal length. I am watching a ton of youtube videos on the subject, but it is pretty scattershot and give no specifics about lasers.

For instance, if galvo lasers are cheaper and many times faster for engraving, why are most people buying 2 axis CNC gantry systems to engrave? Also, to engrave just wood at high speed, why would you choose a CO2 over a 532nm YAG or say a 40W Blue Diode? In addition, I have no idea how to calculate the focal lengths for the different laser systems.

If you are a laser guru or know where I can find a compendium of this info, feel free to chime in. Otherwise, I guess I will just keep on trucking on youtube.

Can’t help you with galvo lasers …. But most 532nm YAG’s are Class IV laser systems, IAW 21 CFR 1040. Many states, including Texas, require you to register the purchase and operation of all Class IV lasers. This is not an after-the-fact registration; you must seek permission. That registration includes designating a certified Laser Safety Officer who has specific duties. Typically the state also requires a certified laser-safe facility with door interlocks or warning lights for Class IV Laser systems. I recall a facility inspection was required after the approved facility was built and operational but that may have changed.

Needless to say, those requirements are more onerous than most facilities are willing to undertake unless nothing else will do the job.

If you proceed with a class IV yag, please protect yourself. Laser eye injury is one of the most gruesome things you can imagine and with a Class IV laser can occur with minimal exposure (such as glint) and fairly long distances.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information. Kind of crazy you can buy one right off of alibaba, or so it would seem. I love your miniature work btw.

1 Like