Fwd: IMPORTANT -- Board meeting to Discuss Software Development Committee

How is this just not a land grab for something Dewight has been working on for a couple of years? I wouldn’t try do this to him, and don’t expect Mike would either. What are Bill’s thoughts on this. He has been investing a hell of a lot effort recently on DMS software.

Better get back to writing code/getting ass kicked today:)

Thanks for the notice of this. Whether its a land grab or not, I’m still running for Committee Chair for the proposed committee given the board approves the formation of such an committee. From what has been gathered the creation of a new committee does not seem to have a lot of traction.

However, I would appreciate everyone’s support in this endeavor and even in supporting VCC itself by telling more people around the space and new members to know that what VCC is not just a committee that does a computer museum but has always been a Software, computer hardware, and IT lab committee that provides training for Computer and Information Sciences.

I even invite everyone to come to the VCC meetings where these sort of things get discussed and the membership has a chance to speak up about what the want at the space for IT and Software.

Kirk Ketter has the proxy of the majority of the code campers and probably the ear of Madam President. I expect he has zero interest in running a committee. He just wants to write some DMS stuff in Rails. Consider giving him support to that end and all should be well. I would track him down and cut a deal before hand if possible.

I have floated the idea of a REST API for the space and you being the right person to head it up. I have started using Loopback from IBM, it runs on top of Express. Best of luck tonight, remember that most of the people are code campers and if they get a job won’t have any time for anything but learning their job.

1 Like

I’m actually working on a GraphQL one that’s on top of mongoose and express with reactjs and react-instant search.

What that means is there’s a single endpoint and a query like language is POST’d to that endpoint.

I’d love the extra hands on this and while I don’t see much value in rails these days (yes been a rails guy since 1.2) I don’t mind if Kirk wants to use it,