Fusion vs Autocad vs Solidworks

I like Onshape, being completly browser based you can open and edit on any computer or on your phone which is nice. You can create a free account with the only limitation being all documents are public https://www.onshape.com/products/free

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e99a4a0edd3878c2336b097e/w/1cfe32cdca6ef50781819b57/e/bf1db31ddc172b007b982758

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/loft.htm

1 Like

That’s cool but do you actually have a library of post processors for different machines to create Gcode to be able to make something with it?

1 Like

IMO you should also consider whether you will ever make something on a different machine. Fusion 360 transitions well to CAM.

1 Like

I’m not sure what onshape CAM solutions exist, I have only used it for CAD and then exporting stl / dxf for 3d printing or laser cutting.

Edit looks like there are plugins / apps that integrate with onshape, I have never looked into them, https://appstore.onshape.com/?sort=featured

1 Like

I remember the license allowing up to a revenue limit ($100,000 per year?).

1 Like

You might be right. I’m speaking from a vague memory.

AutoCAD is great for precise 2D work, but it’s clunky and frustrating when dealing with 3D. For this project, I recommend learning Fusion. Solidworks is an amazing program, but it’s a lot harder access if you ever find yourself unable to access the Makerspace software.

Another thing to consider is that you could try poly-modeling with something like Maya or Blender. It might be the wrong route for these specific designs, but if you want to get into more irregular shapes, it is very flexible and worth being familiar with.

This is a sentence.

One of our fellow makers (I believe it’s @David_A_Tucker) graciously provides student licenses for DMS members. Access to the JUMP driver is not necessary.

2 Likes

This is a sentence.

I used to have issues with the jump drive license, but it has been working recently. You might try it again, as it might have been fixed since your last attempt.

One of these days I will have to stop torturing myself using Lightwave, and instead torture myself to learn Fusion360…

2 Likes

Well lightwave isnt made for parametric effecient modeling like Fusion 360 and Solidworks.
If you just need functional things, both of those are very easy to use.

I’m fully aware of the uses of both software packages, I just know Lightwave from 20 years of use and have a working (if cumbersome) toolpath to get a useable 3d printable file. Fusion360, not so much…

You can right click the body and turn it into an stl. Takes about 6 seconds.

Have you ever tried Modo? I’ve heard really good things about the transition between programs. From what I understand, Modo was started by the original Lightwave devs and has a similar focus.
I recently heard that Lightwave has some major improvements in the works, though, so it might be worth sticking with it and seeing if they succeed with their vision or not.

We have hundreds of maker licenses available for free to our membership.

2 Likes

This is a sentence.

Hi David,
How can I get the maker license?
Thanks
Michael

Hi!

First, get your green dot. That proves to me that you’re a member. Click this post:

Next click and read this:

Then read and agree to this:

DMS License Terms/Agreement

By downloading and activating your license, you are agreeing with Dallas Makerspace, Inc. (“DMS”) that:

1. Your license is governed both by the terms required by Dassault and the terms required by DMS, as they may be modified by DMS and/or Dassault from time to time.
  2. You are representing and warranting that you are a member in good standing with DMS.
  3. You will not communicate to anyone or share any DMS license codes for Solidworks.
  4. Your license will only be used for your own personal and academic purposes, as interpreted by DMS and/or Dassault. During the installation and download procedure you’ll get an End User Licensing Agreement containing more detailed restrictions.
  5. DMS has notified you of your eligibility to receive the appropriate maker/student license. Any download and use of a license by a person who is not eligible for it is a violation of the license agreement and applicable laws.
  6. The licenses obtained through DMS differ from other versions of Solidworks software in that the relevant license will expire in accordance with the terms of your download card and/or DMS’s particular agreement with Dassault. Files created with your license will contain an “academic-use only” watermark.
  7. We have special terms as part of DMS’ agreement with Dassault, by which you’ll be bound. In plain English, these terms include, among others, that: (i) they may create sales and marketing demos from certain of your model data files that we all agree to provide, and (ii) if so, you represent, warrant, and indemnify that any models, images, logos, and photographs that you provide won’t, when used for this purpose, violate anyone’s rights or confidentiality obligations.

If you can’t agree to these terms, do not download, activate, or use your license. Again, you will be deemed to have agreed to these terms if you download and activate the software.

Then send me a PERSONAL MESSAGE asking for a license.

Easy peasy.

1 Like