Fusion vs Autocad vs Solidworks

Hello. I’d like to make some mugs to 3D print (then slipcast), but I’m restricted by using a free trial of Sketchup (which isn’t designed for this sort of thing anyway, I think). I have access to Fusion, Autocad, and Solidworks. I’m pretty sure I can accomplish what I want in whichever one I choose, but I’m stuck trying to figure out which one to start learning. Does anyone have suggestions, or just tips for getting started in one of them? I’m trying to make stuff like what’s in these photos.

1 Like

My preference is SolidWorks but my stuff tends to be less curvy.

Argh! Curse you @toussaintpeg! Now I’m starting to visualize how to construct the middle mug. I fear it’s going to become an obsession.

1 Like

Probably Fusion. I use Solidwrks because I enjoy the part assembly system more than Fusion, but Fusion has better organic modeling

1 Like

For your purposes fusion and solidworks will probably be identical. AutoCAD is the outlier as it’s a 2D drafting program and not made for solid modeling.

Like Brian, I prefer solidworks, but my projects are almost exclusively mechanical in nature. I’d say to just pick one of those two and start working on it.

2 Likes

Been using Fusion360 for about 2 years. I know how to model those cups in 3 moves, but only round. I can’t imagine how to do that hexagonal thingy.

BTW, if you are looking to do more “organic” modelling, it’s Mesh Mixer.

Getting files in and out of the Autodesk programs is a pain. I loaded FreeCad, it does a LOT of file format translations very well.

2 Likes

Remember, this is just my opinion. I think Solidworks is easier to use and they have some pretty good built in tutorials BUT I think Fusion 360 could be more useful if you want to learn how to use the Haas.

1 Like

@toussaintpeg, please post a top view.

1 Like

For the goblet, it looks like you have the right idea but the wrong direction.

1 Like

The green and white mugs are the same, except white is lengthened 150%. The goblet is in two parts.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll start with Fusion, and look into Mesh Mixer too.

2 Likes

In Fusion360,

1. make 2 concentric hexagon sketches on the bottom plane
  2. make 2 ea 3 pointed arc sketches on the side plane, and move the ends to touch your hex
  3. select the area between the hexagons, and do a Sweep along the arc’s Paths

3 steps, BWAHAHAHAHAA

2 Likes

Well done, sir. I was thinking a 2-rail sweep in Aspire, but unfortunately DMS doesn’t have that.

2 Likes

@toussaintpeg

Notice the subframe in the bottom right of those pics, it’s the “scrot” command (screen capture) on a Raspberry PI. I ran Fusion360 on my RPi using Remmina remote to the bada$$ server at DMS (thanks, @lukeiamyourfather) . You’ll have to sign-up for a Student license with Fusion360; but it’s cool, it saves all your designs on the Cloud automatically.

There are no limits!

1 Like

I have Solidworks, Inventor(Fusions big brother) & Fusion on all the Digital Media computers

2 Likes

I recommend that you learn both Solidworks and Fusion. The skills you learn in one program will transfer over nicely to the other – it’s just that the commands are in different places. Solidworks has a huge user base, so online tutorials and examples are plentiful.

Also, the owner of Solidworks (Dessault) gave us a PREMIUM copy of Solidworks on our jump server, so it would have more fancy features than Fusion (I think). You can get a free maker copy of Solidworks through the Dallas Makerspace if you’re a member (search Talk for details).

Also consider that Fusion 360 is only licensed for noncommercial use, whereas the jump server Premium version of Solidworks is free to be used commercially by our members.

3 Likes

I like Onshape, being completly browser based you can open and edit on any computer or on your phone which is nice. You can create a free account with the only limitation being all documents are public https://www.onshape.com/products/free

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e99a4a0edd3878c2336b097e/w/1cfe32cdca6ef50781819b57/e/bf1db31ddc172b007b982758

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/loft.htm

1 Like

That’s cool but do you actually have a library of post processors for different machines to create Gcode to be able to make something with it?

1 Like

IMO you should also consider whether you will ever make something on a different machine. Fusion 360 transitions well to CAM.

1 Like

I’m not sure what onshape CAM solutions exist, I have only used it for CAD and then exporting stl / dxf for 3d printing or laser cutting.

Edit looks like there are plugins / apps that integrate with onshape, I have never looked into them, https://appstore.onshape.com/?sort=featured

1 Like

I remember the license allowing up to a revenue limit ($100,000 per year?).

1 Like

You might be right. I’m speaking from a vague memory.