Fun Times Annual Talks: Painting @ DMS

I think they mean like a paint gun, which isn’t technically banned but is banned off of common sense as lack of area to use it without coating the space in a nice dusting of overspray lol

Additionally, we would have to track our usage and in our environment it would be hard to do accurately. Those exposing DMS to large potential fines.

Actually, we wouldn’t get one for the same reason that aerosol paint cans are banned. It’s not so much about the overspray, but the fact that Carrollton would require us to track usage or be fined. And, given how well the average DMS member keeps track of stuff, we’d be fined pretty quick. Some previous board members were seriously looking at a paint booth, but painting one car uses up the “don’t worry about it” limit, and then we’d have to have a log.

That only applies to business and entities, individuals not employeed or acting on the behalf of a company(which the rules say only offices can act on behalf of maker space) aren’t regulated

But I do agree I’d love a booth but the paperwork and regulations and facilities upgrades are insane I have a buddy who owns a collision/high end tuning shop, and he tells me about all the shit he goes through just to be allowed to have the booth on the property

1 Like

We are an entity. Just because we’re Not-For-Profit doesn’t mean that we’re not an entity. It may feel like a conglomeration of individuals, but we are an entity.

this is not correct. We, as paying members, make DMS responsible for our environmental actions while on site. If anyone, board member or regular member, sprays at DMS, DMS is responsible for the environmental impact of that.

Think of it like “No shirt, No shoes, No service.” It’s not that any grocery or restaurant cares that you don’t have a shirt so much as the health code enforcement will fine the store for not keeping a minimum standard of sanitation in their premises.

Likewise, DMS itself doesn’t care about spraying except that it has to because if members/ customers use our facility to do so, we must track it and there’s no reasonable way to do such.

2 Likes

We’ve been through this dance before @Chris_Fazio

You. Are. A. Member

That means anything you do on site counts as something being done by the business for purposes of things like painting.
If it happens on our grounds in the normal course of sanctioned operation, then it is viewed as part of business here.

This argument happens regularly and unless something new comes in its just gonna get shut down early before it consumes anyone for the week.

2 Likes

I have not therefor I wouldn’t be considered tied to makerspace. I would be considered an individual who happens to be a member of makerspace,
And we’re not an entity we’re as business so the rules get even harsher

That rule states that You’re not authorized to officially represent DMS. IE, if a lawyer calls, you’re not the person to talk to.

That has no application to your responsibility as a paying customer of the makerspace. If you anger one of our neighbors by parking in their parking space, that comes down on the makerspace, not you.

Likewise, if you paint at the makerspace, using makerspace facilities, DMS becomes responsible for your actions.

The makerspace is, to some degree, legally responsible for your actions while on the premises, no matter how you want to spin our rules.

You pay a membership, you are tied to makerspace at some level.

1 Like

Bingo.

As a member you are tied to the Makerspace.
For laws pertaining to businesses you must follow them on the Makerspace grounds since your activities constitute Makerspace activities

I agree there are repercussions but there’s absolutely 0 chance any single individual part of a business group or whatever would be held to voc regulations and fined for
Violating them, there will be a slew of other fines and punishment but in no reality will an single individual be fined or have the punishment imposed for any voc restriction or regulation imposed on them EVER!

Ah, but you are discounting the punishments that DMS might mete out if you caused them to pay fines due to your actions.

You absolutely would be held to it.

You, as a member of DMS are contributing to the overall use of a business which counts towards the totals because you are doing it on the grounds as part of your membership with the organisation.

No I agree I would be fined banned etc etc it there would never be able to fine Dms for voc violations when a single member commuted the action, there’d be no way of figuring out if they did or not since logging is how they regulate it, a single meber outside Dms JIM will never be able to have Dms fined for voc cause the literally method they use to determine fines wouldn’t exist so in no situation EVER if a single member using voc outside and business would ever result in a fine for voc violation

Only because we’re not permitting you to do it, and even then that’s only as long as we continue to enforce that prohibition.

And that’s exactly why we prohibit it; all member usage on the grounds would count to the same total

I’m gonna attempt to break apart this word soup.

There is no you or individual when operating at DMS for these purposes. When you do anything on the grounds, that counts towards totals for all business requirements with limits. The same total for everyone.

Think of it this way: if what you claimed were true, each paint shop would just say every employee is a member instead and that therefore their totals wouldn’t combine and the business box usage would be zero.

But that’s not how it works.

I agree there would be many reproductions form Dms and neighbors and police but a grand total of 0 of them would be for voc violations period ever
And no because a form called a w4 would tell the government differently and punish the business

That’s not how this works.

All individuals using DMS to perform the work contribute towards the VOC totals. The fact they’re engaging in using it and their use would be in the course of business means that the business premises has to meet the auditing and limit requirements.

This thread isn’t going anywhere so I’m gonna lock it before some member gets the wrong idea and thinks this is ok in any way.