Fuel Gauge Not Working

So my fuel gauge on my 4Runner decided to stop working. It keeps telling me I have 0 gas even after fully filling the tank. I’m currently keep track of my gas by counting miles driven. You guys were so awesome in helping me change my radiator, that I would like to see if this is something easily fixable by me. :thinking:

Based on my research, it sounds like the most likely culprit is that floating gauge in the fuel tank itself. Is that something that is easy/moderately difficult to do if I have someone walking me through the steps? After that radiator experience, I really enjoyed learning about my car and would like to fix this also on my own if possible.

Thanks!

1 Like

My rear hatch is inoperative on my 2003 right now :(. My volume dial acts like a jackwad constantly. But my fuel is so darn accurate, I am thankful. Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

I had a fuel pump problem on a 2002 Impala, so I dropped the tank to make the change. It was a pain where you don’t want it. After she was running, I checked Youtube to see how other people had done it. Turns out there was an access port in the trunk, I never had to drop the tank!

Seems obvious now, but check if there is a Youtube BEFORE you invent new curse words for the repair you are performing.

2 Likes

Good point. I think the float is what we replaced in the Town & Country (rather like a Caravan), and we were having some serious issues getting the tank back on and the gasket in place. After we bobbled it once (I having the task of holding the gas tank), I made Capt go look for a youtube on how to do it right. And somehow my help wasn’t required once the right way was figured out. Or, Alan came by and helped.

1 Like

the money:

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion @Russell_Crow! So I just found this video. I have the same generation, but a 2006. Nerds who like detail will love this guy! :nerd_face: :rofl:

He gives some great advice and suggestions on dropping the tank. Unfortunately, Toyota forces you to drop the tank to do this correctly.

I did find a 2nd video of someone that cut a big enough hole inside the 4Runner to get to the fuel pump, but you have to be a lot more careful (you’re cutting metal above gas! :flushed:) and then make a new plate to cover the hole.

I think dropping the tank is a better and a MUCH safer way of doing it. :joy: After watching that 1st video, I think I would definitely need help, but think it’s doable.

Is this something someone could help me with that’s done something similar before?

Looks like the Toyota engineers shorted you there !

If you take in to many a local “shop” they will hack the factory hole in to a larger access hole but they will charge you for dropping the tank. They are “nice in that full service” way.

If it were my vehicle, I’d use panel cutters and make a cut but not “remove” the metal entirely - make it like a flap and bend it out of the way, take care of the repair, bend it back in place and seal it back up. To each their own.

Too bad, the factory provided limited access to the top of the tank but not quite enough.

European automobiles have access panels where you can remove that stubborn collar to remove the pump module with the sending unit etc without dropping the tank.

That exactly what the guy in the 2nd video does except he used a Sawzall. :astonished: He does bend the metal back and shows how thin the metal is. It looks like it’s possible to cut without using a power tool. In the comments of that video, someone suggested using JB Weld to put it back together and others suggested making a plate.

1 Like