Free Used Wheelchair 12V SLA Batteries

I have two used wheelchair batteries after changing mine out.They weren’t holding a charge like I thought they should(somewhat subjective on my part), so I swapped them out rather than taking a chance being stranded somewhere. A friend put them back in the box the new ones were shipped in, while I would not trust them for anything important they might be useful for someone else. The shipping box is very heavy, I will not be able to carry them to DMS in my wheelchair. I will try to dispose of them before Mon. Sept . 23 so you can contact me before then via PM, I live in Garland, you will need to come to my home to pick them up.

BTW: is there a better forum I could have posted, like a swap DMS forum perhaps?

2 Likes

Makertrade. I’ve moved to that category already.

2 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes

Wendy if you bring them on Saturday I c an make use of them in my wheel chair I am using for my Dalek

Batteries which many people take for lame or dead, can be rejuvenated by the right charger.

BION, new uComp controlled chargers will give up; but the old Selenium rectifier chargers are too dumb, and can bring 12V lead-acid batteries back to life. Look for an old Sears or Montgomery Ward charger (12V @ 2A), and hook it up for about 3 days. The Selenium rectifier’s voltage bias will change to the situation, and coax those stubborn molecules back to the team.

Note: before you attempt this Lazarus Move, you have to make sure all the cells in the battery are saturated with liquid. You have to open the cells and top them off with Distilled Water, to give them a place to reconstitute. Dry cells cannot recharge, because they cannot reliquify.

Max, they are too big/heavy for Wendy to carry on the shuttle - you’ll need to arrange to pick them up in Garland if you want them.

2 Likes

I don’t see how a sealed lead acid battery could dry out. If it can, that’s probably a good reason to quit using it.

There’s no way to truly “seal” a lead acid battery, they either vent or explode.

Here’s a 6V lead acid backup battery. After you pop the plastic cover, it has little rubber caps over the fill holes; they all do.

Top off each cell with distilled water, recap, and charge. At 100%, a lead acid should hold at exactly 12.67 Volts. This 6V should hold at 6.33 Volts.

1 Like

And they are gone!

This thread is done, I think.

1 Like

Someone, maybe @Lampy, told me the batteries were shot (one swollen and one useless), these were not my batteries. I checked back with @malcolmputer, they were in usable shape, though definitely not new. I post this because I felt such misinformation tarnishes my reputation. It may not be much, but it is just about all I have left.