Free Pink Ivory Wood

I will be up there later after 2 and I have a few scraps of African Pink Ivory wood that will be up for grabs. Look it up it is one of THE most expensive woods in the world. Even the chips are valuable :slight_smile:
These are all 1/4" thick which I am using for some inlay work. What’s left here can’t be held safely for the CNC and I don’t hand carve. This would be useful for buttons, plugs, maybe even as pocket knife scales.
I will leave them in a conspicuous spot by the sanding station. If you take any please make a small dontation to the woodshop or machine shop or both. remember - where else do you find Pink wood? cheers!

5 Likes

Which sanding station? I’m interested in a small piece.

By the CNC. Be there in 15 minutes

1 Like

Ah, thanks - now I know which one. I won’t be there until tomorrow, so if there is anything left I’ll try to get a small piece then.

Nick, Chris and I both have bins - could you put a small piece (who knows what Chris considers a small piece) there?

1 Like

A small piece is about 2" long x 1/4" x 1/4". That would be a delight to have. I could turn something wonderful from that.

A formal dinning table for 12?

5 Likes

Chris - I have put a piece in your bin. enjoy!

3 Likes

You, sir, are awesome! Thank you so much. I’ll make a contribution to Wood Shop.

2 Likes

it’s all gone now

Looked up Pink Ivory Wood, very interesting and expensive stuff. Thanks for giving others access to such a rare wood. Good to use every last bit!

1 Like

the price is due to the best hype and marketing ever. it really isn’t as rare as they make it out to be.
And the whole “only the zulu king could own it” story has been debunked a few times.

I was in Europe for a couple of years where they have a direct pipeline to S. Africa. I used to buy this at about 1/3 of the US prices so I stockpiled quite a bit and would fill a suitcase when I returned. prices have only doubled since. I pretty much have a fortune in my warehouse. But I do like using it on special projects. The one I’m working on should be a beauty. cheers!

2 Likes