Free parts from a Mitsubishi 65" 1080HD TV

I have a 65" rear projection TV, I’ve decided to strip down. I’ve found plenty of people who want it, but nobody wants to come and get it.:grinning: It’s big and heavy!!

If anybody wants any of the parts, I’d be happy to bring to the space once I get it torn apart (this week).

I would really like fresnel lens if it has one. I want to make these big head boxes for open house.

7 Likes

With a 65" lens? Wow what a big head! Or we could build a solar forge.

3 Likes

Curious about the light source - arc lamp or LED?

1 Like

I was thinking we’d cut it down. If people want to make a solar forge that’s cool too.

There is a LED strip on each side. If you look at Nicole’s glasses you can see the reflection.

My inquiry was WRT the TV.

1 Like

Once I get it stripped down, I’ll let you know. I do think it has a large fresnel lens.

If it has the parts you are interested in, I’ll make sure you all get them.

I’ll also post pics of the different components as I pull them out.

2 Likes

Looks like there are 3 small CRT’s.

1 Like

Ok I’ve been meaning to update this since I tore down the TV. Below you’ll see pics of the parts:(new puppy that’s not quite house trained yet, follows me everywhere😀)

Not sure there is anything of value here that any body wants, but I though I’d offer on the off chance.

There are a lot of boards with some massive heat sinks. A bunch of wiring harnesses. Some optics and a couple of 10W 8 ohm speakers.

@ESmith - unfortunately the light source are 3 tiny CRTs and not LED.

@AlexRhodes - the fresnel is a linear one and not a spot which is what I think you wanted. But I did do some research and found out that all fresnel lens are spot but the linear ones have been fabricated with plastic lines on one side to create it. Apparently, from a guy on YouTube a person can work out those lines with a compound polishing process thus creating a spot fresnel. It seems easy, I’m thinking about trying it to see how it comes out. If it looks good I’ll let you know.

Each optic has 4 lenses in them and one is glass and the other 3 are acrylic. I’m probably going to play sound with the glass optics, but if anybody wants the acrylic ones or some of them, let me know. They are about 3" diameter.

I won’t put the stuff on the donation shelf as I am assuming it’s just junk that not many people will want. But if anybody wants any of this stuff before I throw it, just let me know.

So the CRTs transmit an image for each color through lenses to collimate into a single image? Weird. Didn’t think any TVs that we’re made in the HD era would use such a method - strikes me as an early-90s front-projection method. More recent rear-projection tended to use either discrete LEDs or a xenon short-arc bulb through a color wheel bouncing off a DLP array if not a xenon short-arc through an internal LCD.

Definitely was a rear projection. The mirror I got out of it is unreal. I forget exactly when I got this, but I know it was when they first came out in this size. Seems like maybe around 2000 or so, but it could have been in late 90s too.

well I learned a new word… :+1:

ESmith = EloquentSmith.

I want to make a big head too, I saw them at Maker Faire this year.

I bought a fresnel lens online but I can’t really see through it, I’m pretty sure when I tried it at Maker Faire I’m pretty sure I could put the head on a walk around and still see pretty well.

Any idea where I could find such a lens or is there a specific name for the type of fresnel lens I need?

Cheers

Phil