Free Olde Table Saw Blades

I think some blacksmith types once asked about old table saw blades? If they are interesting to work on, here are abunch (free):

@coloneldan @Julie-Harris

1 Like

I just sent an email asking how to acquire them. Most of the blades, at least the older ones, are 1095 steel and are excellent for making knife blades. I have some and I just cut them up on a bandsaw or with an angle grinder. I also plan to make some damscus steel using them and bandsaw blades as they are usually 15N20 (contain nickle alloy) or L6. They make pretty good knife blades themselves.

I sent the guy several emails and I’ve heard nothing so I’m guessing they’ve already been disposed of.

This is my ad. Sorry for not getting back - I got swamped with the usual Craigslist Free Section BS - lots of replies, no-shows, etc. I still have the blades if you’d like to pick them up.

I was actually the one that posted a while back looking for circle saw blades, but I just now saw this.

If it’s still available, that would be awesome but if somebody else is already picked them up…

I was the one that sent you the original facebook reply. I would still want them and will come out and pick them up. @MadScists I don’t need all of them so why don’t we split them?

1 Like

Sure, if you’re ok with doing that.

My interest is in using the steel in the sawblades to make damascus steel from. You can cut the blades into knife blanks, too but I intend to sandwich them with 15N20 (bandsaw blade steels) to make Damascus steel.

There is no way I could use 20 saw blades at this time so splitting them is fine with me. What are you planning to do with them?

I like the older saw blades because those with carbide tips are usually not as good steel for knife blades since the manufacturer uses a less hardend steel for the body of the blade. Don’t get me wrong iti is still reasonably good steel for a blade it just doesn’t hold the edge as well and must be resharpended more frequently.

@Lloyd_Plum when would you be available for me to collect the saw blades? Are you ever at DMS these days?

1 Like

To be honest, I actually have some post-apocalyptic style Weaponry (thanks to a friend that’s into post-apocalyptic and steampunk cosplay) designed using old saw blades.

So the carbide tip ones would work fine for me.

Sorry, I don’t really make it over there much. There are a few people who occasionally come by that might be willing to pick up. I will need to dig up usernames when I get to my computer. Otherwise, I’m available most of the time.

I picked up the blades from Lloyd. There were 20 of them. I’ve sorted them and need to get you 10 of them. I gave you all of the carbide tiped blades as well as some interesting blades like a dado blade and a couple of smaller blades. They should make some pretty cool steam punk stuff. You may or man not want to remove the patina/rust from them.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you!

I won’t be available until after tomorrow oh, so when’s the best time to meet up Tuesday or after?

May I inquire as to where you live? I live in North Carrollton near Prestonwood Baptist Church so if you live north is might save us a little time and gas.

I actually live over by the high five around Coit…

Ok. DMS is probably half way. . Are you available Tuesday after say 4:00PM?

Yeah, I should be able to be up there around 4.

I’ll plan to meet you there. I’ll likely be in the metal shop or the blacksmithing area. I’m 6’9" so I should be easy to find. :grinning:

1 Like

Awesome!
I’ll send you a message and let you know when I’m on the way.

Thanks!

Sounds good.

1 Like