Free materials + hand tools - clearing a shop in the Design District this Saturday (3/2)

Hello all!

My family has finally come to something we’ve been dreading: clearing out my dad’s old shop after he passed last year. He was the kind of guy who bought all the tools needed for a new project, and there were plenty since we renovated an old warehouse building in the Design District over a decade. We’d love to hold onto them all, but we know ourselves, and renting storage likely leads to more dust - at least for the foreseeable future since my brothers and I don’t have our own houses, let alone our own shops. We’d much rather they get used!

Given that he did all kinds of work (wood, metal, putting up walls, wiring electric, etc.) there are a lot of materials and little tools that have accumulated over the years. He also has many power tools, but we’re going to try to hold onto most of those because many are the same ones we all learned on. However, there is an old Ridgid TS3650 that we definitely can’t take and we’d love to find a home for it.

So long as there’s enough interest, we’d like to do an “open house” this Saturday (3/2) from 1 - 4pm. The hope is that whoever wants to can swing by the building at 137 Pittsburg St, Dallas TX 75207, look through the shop, and take whatever they want for free. The only thing we’d ask for money on is the table saw, and I believe the TS3650 is an old version of this, emphasis on old though so we were thinking $150 obo.

Materials-wise, there is a large variety so I will share pictures to give a taste. There is wood of several qualities, probably the most enticing are what I believe to be red cedar 2x4s that are hanging above the worktable in the pictures. Full disclosure, that wood has been there for some time (in the ~10 year range).

Please let me know if you have any questions! If there isn’t enough interest for a dedicated open house but a few people want to take a look, I’d be happy to coordinate. Hope everybody is doing well!

Edit: an important note: I will actually not be in town this weekend so you would be meeting my brothers - a bummer since I’d like to meet more DMS people. Hoping to see y’all around the space in March though.

Edit 2: My mom is also planning to be there, please call 214-893-4389 if nobody sees you when you pull up to the building’s gate (pictured in the comments below).

Best,
Aidan

And the Ridgid tablesaw, covered with a tarp in the above picture (bottom left):
IMG_7168

5 Likes

@MLocke 0123456789

Very nice of you, and generous. I’m definitely interested in some of those materials.

2 Likes

I also might be interested in a few things.

1 Like

Aidan

Thank you very much for the offer.

We are contemplating a project at DMS where we could use some of it, particularly some of the wood.

I will be there

Max Locke

2 Likes

Excellent - I think it’ll be first come first served however if you spot something particular in the pictures above or want at least a few boards of the nicer wood, I can ask my brothers to set some aside.

Thank you, your generosity inspires me to pay it foward when I have the chance. Your dad seemed like a really cool guy. I’m interested and will be there.

Brian

1 Like

Thank you for your generosity with our community. I’ve been looking over the photos, being thankful that I haven’t found anything that justifies the trip for me. At the moment I should be kicking out items for every one I bring in, and your goal isn’t to have things multiplying on you.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the responses! My brothers will be at the space this Saturday to let y’all in! Also, in case anybody is wondering, there is ample space in the parking lot that could accommodate trailers.

Again, feel free to reach out with any questions! If I don’t respond promptly on here you can email me at [email protected]

some parking lot pictures for reference:

non-panoramic of the right side:

2 Likes

Also for reference, the shop is on the left in this photo, which is just over the wall in front of the cars in the above photos:

Thank you for the generous offer!

I will be there as well!

1 Like

Thank you for your generosity! I’m just getting started again, and would love to stop by and look through if there’s any things that might be useful.

Safe travels!

1 Like

@pahowe21 - tag!

Also to everybody else: in case nobody catches you at the gate (pictured above) when you pull up, feel free to call 214-893-4389. It’s my mom’s, Jennifer, number - she is also planning to be there Saturday. I’ll add this info to the main description too.

1 Like

Thanks @aidankmcl ! I aim to be there and help lighten your load. Thank you for the generous offer!

2 Likes