Free Granite Available

Would DMS be interested in some free granite? Remodel of kitchen has left me with some large pieces of finished / polished granite. One piece is about 5’ x 5’ with all finished edges. It would make a good work surface. Others are various sizes. Granite is black - called Uba Tuba.
I need help moving it if DMS wants it. Location is McKinney.
If not desired by DMS, anyone can have it. Otherwise I might make really expensive gravel…

2 Likes

It might make a good leather working table or at least slabs.

1 Like

I would really like some for a vibration isolator for my record player…

If no one else can come and get it from you give me a call at 214-729-6617 and I’ll come and look at it. If it matches what I have in my store I might just have to build a display out of it.

@wilkesc, thank for the offer.

My wife has requested a leather working slab in the 12 inch by 12 inch size.

I may be able to help with my pickup.

The 5’ by 5’ piece may be difficult. I have a cap on the pickup which makes things slightly over 5x5 difficult (because of the cap loading has to be done from the tailgate).

@Photomancer - any interest in using this for a measurement table?

Counter top material usually isn’t thick enough to be stable enough past about 6x6 inches. My 8x12 surface plate is about 2.5 inches thick.

Though it is probably good enough as a flat backer for sanding and low precision lapping.

2 Likes

Some could also be used to build a precision balance table for @Team_Science. I worked in a lab where we had a purpose-built concrete table (top was about 4" thick) for our balances. But this would be a decent budget alternative.

I can meet anyone on Saturday in McKinney if you want some of the stone. PM me for address. If DMS wants any, we can load some and bring it in my trailer. We should have a clear idea of where it is going in DMS if we are bringing any to the space. Don’t want it just sitting in the way.

1 Like