Free - C/Ku BUD satellite receivers

Need to get bequeath two C/Ku BUD (Big Ugly Dish) satellite receivers to a fellow maker. These were both in use and working at one time, they are DigiCipher II capable. I have remotes for both, just haven’t located the GI remote yet.

General Instruments DSR922
Panasonic PS-700EX

Offered because ya never know what use a maker might have for them - they might have some RF stuff inside worth scrounging. If there’s no interest here I’ll send them to a recycler.

I hesitate to put them on the donation shelf because if no one takes them I don’t want them to go into the dumpster (and subsequently a landfill).

Here are some pics. Boots not included :slight_smile:

Bollics, this would be perfect for the Wireless SIG. Just two things block that though.

1. That General Instruments DSR922 may be still be the property of your satellite provider unless one actually purchased it off the shelf. Its the same legal rulings as one’s cable box and dsl/cable modem, most providers only lease the receiver/modem and legally one has to return it to them.

2. the committee is already a little back logged, we have some wiggle room but requires a extra work on our end to make sure we have bandwidth and storage for it. Plus there’s the first concern.

I’d suggest checking in on that first one then we might be able to talk.

The DSR922 was purchased off of ebay, it was never owned by my satellite provider. The Panasonic was part of the satellite system when I bought my house. AFIK, all of the BUD hardware was directly purchased and owned by users. All the satellite providers did was provide access to programming. That business model changed completely with the advent of DirecTV, where the equipment was leased/rented.

Are you only interested in DSR922? I can hold onto this for you for a short while, but I’m trying to make room for some other stuff (that you may see offered in a few years :grinning:).

1 Like

Smashing. Sure I’ll be glad to take both of them. We’ll find the space to store it. Any chance you’ll be able to bring them to the space?

I can drop them by sometime. When are you going
to be there this week? If you’re not there, where should I put them?

BTW, you barely missed them going to a recycler.
If I hadn’t been given a bogus address after
lunch they would have been gone. Must have been destiny.

must be.

Well, I’ll be at any of the infrastructure or VCC meetings but feel free to place it with a note in the committee area if you don’t see me or other committee members.

much appreciated Zach :smiley:

Appreciation seconded to “FexEx” Zach. When it absolutely, positively, has to be there…

1 Like